This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mação Municipality (Portugal)

Concelho de Mação, Distrito de Santarém

Last modified: 2014-10-31 by antónio martins
Keywords: macao(santarem) | coat of arms (bordure) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Mação municipality] 2:3 image by Sérgio Horta, 19 Sep 2007
See also: External links:
  • Page about Mação at the Portuguese Municipalities’s Association website (incl. image of the arms)
    reported by António Martins, 18 Nov 2001
  • Mação, at the English Wikipedia
    reported by António Martins, 19 Sep 2007

About the flag

It is a quite typical portuguese municipal flag, with the coat of arms centered on a plain yellow background. This flag and arms were adopted and published in the official journal Diário do Governo : I Série in 1931.10.08.
António Martins, 19 Sep 2007

Arms detail

Mação municipal arms
image by Sérgio Horta, 20 Sep 2007

The arms are Gules a lamb passant Or and on the chief a bunch of grapes between two bees all of the Same and on a bordure Argent barrulets wavy Azure. Mural crown argent with four visible towers (town rank) and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "Vila de Mação".
António Martins, 19 Sep 2007

On the bordure, seven azure fesses are in use, as depicted, while the law prescribes six.
António Martins, 01 Jun 2006

Version without the coat of arms

Plain (monocoloured) Portuguese subnational flags are not allowed to have variations without arms: plain flags always carry the coat of arms.
Jorge Candeias, 18 July 1999

Presentation of Mação

Mação municipality had 8442 inhabitants in 2001, and it consists of six communes, covering 400,83 km². It is part of Santarém District, traditional province Beira Baixa, 1999 ref. adm. region Estremadura e Ribatejo, pre-2002 C.C.R. / NUTS II Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, current C.C.R. / NUTS II Alentejo, and NUTS III Lezíria do Tejo.
António Martins, 19 Sep 2007

When spelled without the competent diacriticals, "Mação" becomes "Macao", which is the pre-1911 Portuguese spelling (and current English spelling) of an unrelated former portuguese municipality; the fantastic notion that a part of a territory located 7000 km away from mainland Portugal was administred as a municipality within one of the 18 districts stems from this.
António Martins, 19 Sep 2007

back to Municipalities of Portugal click here