This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Alcáçovas Commune (Portugal)

Freguesia de Alcáçovas, Concelho de Viana do Alentejo, Distrito de Évora

Last modified: 2014-08-09 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: alcacovas | lions(purple;2) | castle(red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Alcáçovas commune] 2:3 image by Sérgio Horta, 28 Feb 2008
See also:

About the Flag

It is a fairly untypical Portuguese communal flag, with the coat of arms centred on a field quartered white and purple (town rank).
António Martins-Tuválkin, 28 Feb 2008

Coat of arms

[Alcáçovas commune CoA] image by Sérgio Horta, 28 Feb 2008

The arms are Argent two lions affronty Purpure armed and langued Gules and in base a moorish citadel (alcáçova) Gules. Mural crown Argent with four visible towers (town rank) and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "ALCÁÇOVAS".
The treaty of AlcáçovasAlcáçovas-Toledo was signed in this town on 4 September 1479; it settled (for the time being) territorial, dynastic and naval projection issues between Portugal and Castille. While the treaty is what this town is best known for, the arms seem to disregard it, unless the two lions somehow refer to it. The red castle - presented as a towered tower on a blockhouse within a castle wall, originally blazoned with the rare Portuguese word "alcáçova" (from Arabic "قصبة" = "qcbtẗ", meaning casbah, citadel), is a canting element.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 28 Feb 2008

Flag and arms adopted and published in the official journal Diário da República: III Série in 2001.07.16.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 28 Feb 2008

Presentation of Alcáçovas

Alcáçovas Commune is one of the three communes of the Viana do Alentejo Municipality (q.v.). This commune had 2088 inhabitants in 2001 and covers 268,13 km².
António Martins-Tuválkin, 28 Feb 2008

back to Viana do Alentejo Communes click here