This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sighetu Marmatiei (Romania, Maramures)

Municipiul Sighetu Marmaţiei

Last modified: 2008-08-30 by alex danes
Keywords: sighet | maramures | romania | transylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


Sighetu Marmatiei (in Hungarian Máramarossziget, in Ruthenian Sihota) is a city in Maramures County of Romania (in the Tisa Valley in Transylvania). The city has got 44.185 inhabitants (14,8% Hungarian, 3,3% Ruthenian; 1992 census). Neighbouring communities are: Sarasău, Săpânţa, Ocna ªugatag, Giuleşti, Vadu Izei, Rona de Jos and Bocicoiu Mare communities in Romania, Bila Cerkva community and Solotvino "town type community" in Ucraine (Transcarpathia).

The territory of the city is inhabitant from the Bronze Age. There is a very important rout in the Tisza Valley. The first mention of the settlement is from the 11th century. King Ladislas IV settled Rumanians to this territory between 1272 and 1290. The Dragoş Family in Maramureş was the founder of the Principality of Moldova. In 1352 Free Royal Town, capital of Máramaros County. From 1556 - like Castle of Huszt - the settlement became the town of the Prince of Transylvania. 1570-1733 the town and the county was the part of the Principality of Transylvania. In 1733 King Charles III reallocated it and Máramaros Co. to Hungary from Transylvania. Máramarossziget was one of the Rumanian and Ruthenian cultural and political centres in Hungary.

In 1910 the settlement was a town in the Máramaros County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Inhabitants in 1910: 21.370; 17.542 (82,1%) Hungarian, 2.001 (9,4%) Rumanian, 1.257 (5,9%) German, 532 (2,5%) Ruthenian and 38 (0,2%) other by mother tongue, 7.981 (37,3%) Jew, 5.850 (27,4) Greek Catholic, 4.901 (22,9%) Roman Catholic, 2.266(10,9%) Calvinist and 372 (1,7%) other by religion. From 1919/1920 (Romanian occupation / Treaty of Trianon) to 1940 (Second Decision in Vienna) part of the Kingdom of Romania. 1940-1944 part of Hungary. The Treaty of Paris reallocated it to Romania. The settlement was a town 1952-1960 in Baia Mare Region, a city 1960-1968 in Maramureş Region and from 1968 in Maramureş County.
István Molnár, 9 Dec 2000

Historical flag of Máramarossziget (Kingdom of Hungary)

by István Molnár, 9 Dec 2000

Seven red and yellow descending stripes, parallel to a central diagonal.
António Martins, 27 February 2001

This flag appears at Dr. Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és lobogója (1941) as "Máramarossziget, Máramaros Co.".
István Molnár, 9 Dec 2000