Last modified: 2014-07-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: nova crnja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Nova Crnja - Image by Ljubodrag Grujić, 18 June 2013
The municipality of Nova Crnja (10,272 inhabitants in 2011; 273 sq. km; municipal website) is located in Vojvodina, on the border with Romania. The municipality is made of the villages of Nova Crnja (1,861 inh. in 2002, mostly Hungarians), Srpska Crnja (4,383 inh.; including Nemačka Crnja and Vojvoda Bojović since 1948), Aleksandrovo (founded in 1921 as an agricultural colony, renamed Banatsko Aleksandrovo in 1943-1947, Livade in 1947-1948, and Velike Livade in 1948-1982), Vojvoda Stepa (1,720 inh.; founded in 1923), Radojevo (1,385 inh.) and Toba (c. 800 inh., mostly Hungarians).
Srpska Crnja is the birth place of Đura Jakšić (1832-1878), a writer and painter considered as one of the leaders of Serbian Romanticism. A liberal, he took part to the uprising against the Ottomans in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1878.
Ivan Sache, 17 June 2013
The flag of Nova Crnja (municipal website) is red, quartered by a cross made of three
white stripes and two red stripes. The first quarter is charged with a
yellow lion holding a white scimitar (taken from the coat of arms of
Banat), while the three others quarters are each charged with a white
wheat spike pointing to the respective corner of the flag.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms. The cross which appears in the flag and arms is a "cross triple parted and fretted" (Wikipedia).
The symbols were designed by the Serbian heraldist Ljubodrag Grujić, also the author of the official versions of he Serbian national flag and arms.
Ivan Sache & Tomislav Todorović, 10 July 2013