Last modified: 2016-08-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: vranje |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vranje - Image by Tomislav Todorović, 3 September 2014
The Town Assembly of Vranje adopted new flag and coat of arms on 27 November 2013 (report). These made the winning entry of the contest opened in August same year (report) and were created by Nikola Salatić, Nemanja Todorović Štiplija (presentation) and Dalibor Stanojković, citizens of Vranje. The new flag was ceremonially hoisted in front of the Town Hall on 8 January 2014 (photos, photos) after the old flag had been taken down and handed over to the director of the People's Museum of Vranje for further keeping.
The flag, in proportions 1:1, is "Or a cross gules and a
canton azure charged with a firesteel of the first".
The field is in the traditional colour of the town while the cross alludes to the Takovo flag from the Second Serbian Uprising and to the Obrenović dynasty which ruled Serbia when Vranje was freed from the Ottoman rule in 1878.
The color of canton repeats that of the field of the coat of arms and the firesteel, beside being a national symbol (its shape being the same as of those from the national coat of arms), also recalls Cyrillic letter В as the initial of the town's name, as well as the Greek letter Β, the initial of the town's name as it was written in the Alexiad by Anna Komnene, which is the first mention of Vranje in history.
Tomislav Todorović, 3 September 2014
Former flag of Vranje, three versions - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 27 September 2007
The former flag of Vranje (photo communicated by Nemanja Todorović Štiplija, from Vranje), was a vertical flag, in proportions c. 2:1, white with the municipal emblem slightly shifted to the top of the flag.
The flag was also used with a yellow background (photo, photo), either vertically or horizontally.
The municipal emblem of Vranje was dark blue, with the stylized white bridge of Vranje above a flower-shaped cogwheel. Year "1093" is written on the bottom of the emblem.
Ivan Sarajčić & Tomislav Šipek, 7 October 2015