This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nova Gorica (Civic Municipality, Slovenia)

Last modified: 2017-03-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: nova gorica | prvačina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Nova Gorica]       [Flag of Nova Gorica]

Flag of Nova Gorica, horizontal and vertical versions - Images by Željko Heimer, 9 May 2006

See also:

Presentation of Nova Gorica

Nova Gorica, the town that was built on the Slovene side of border after the separation of a part of the town that was given to Italy (Gorizia), was formerly known as the Austrian town of Görz.

Željko Heimer, 8 January 2000

Flag of Nova Gorica

The flag of Nova Gorica is light blue with a stylized red rose in the canton. I guess the flag proportions are 1:2, like for the Slovene national flag.

Uroš Žižmund, 4 May 1997

Stanič & Jakopič [j2s05] show a vertical flag, in proportions 1:2, with a greenish-blue field and the rose from the coat of arms set in the middle.
Different variants of the flag seem to be in use; the confusion is probably caused by the lack of an updated Decision on the precise design of the flag.
The flag might have been adopted in 1968 along with the coat of arms but not explicitely defined, so that it was later fixed by usage.
Anyway, the current municipal Statutes (text) , adopted on 23 February 2006, confirm Stanič & Jakopič's drawings, describing the border of the coat of arms as blue and the flag as blue-green. The previous Statutes, adopted on 21 February 2002 and published on 28 February 2002 in the local official gazette Uradne objave - časopis OKO, 6/2002, have exactly the same wording. Older Statutes, adopted on 21 April 1995 and published on 3 June 1995 in the local official gazette Uradno Glasilo, 6/1995, have almost the same wording, lacking the provision for a Decision prescribing the further details of the flag introduced in the 2002 Statutes.

Željko Heimer, 26 June 2010

Coat of arms of Nova Gorica

[Coat of arms of Nova Gorica]         [Coat of arms of Nova Gorica]

Coat of arms of Nova Gorica, two versions - Images by Željko Heimer, 9 May 2006

According to Banderas municipales de Eslovenia [drn96i], published in Banderas [ban] #58 (March 1996), Nova Gorica adopted on 10 November 1980 a coat of arms, white with a red rose, referring to the nickname of the town,"the Town of Roses".
However, Stanič & Jakopič [j2s05] write that the coat of arms was adopted after a public contest held in May 1968, the winner being Roni Nemec. The jury report states that the emblem is "a rose as a symbol of a young town, a town of flowers, youth, beauty and freshness". Stanič & Jakopič represent the emblem with a very dark blue border.

Željko Heimer, 9 May 2006

Former flag and arms of Nova Gorica

[Former flag of Nova Gorica]       [Former arms of Nova Gorica]

Former flag and arms of Nova Gorica - Images by Željko Heimer, 2 July 2005

Zalokar [zal90] shows a light blue flag with in the middle a coat of arms similar to the current one but with a red border.

Željko Heimer, 13 September 2004

Local community of Prvačina

[Flag of Prvacina]

Flag of Prvačina - Image by Ivan Sache, 22 May 2012

The local community of Prvačina (1,169 inhabitants in 2002; 460 ha; website) is located on the left bank of river Vipava, on the main road between Nova Gorica and Sežana.
Prvačina (Latin, Prebatio) was mentioned for the first time in 1323, while its church was mentioned in 1348. The castle of Priwatsch was mentioned in 1361. The early village was built along two parallel streets.
In 1906, the building of a railway branch to Trieste made of Prvačina an important railway hub, boosting the development of the village to the north. After the First World War, poverty drove several women from the region, especially Prvačina, to move to Egypt, where they worked for affluent European, French-speaking families as teachers, cooks, maids, dressmakers... They were known in Egypt as Goriciennes, Slovènes or Slaves. Mostly working in Alexandria, these women are recalled in Prvačina as "Alexandrines" (website).
On 5 July 1920, the celebration of a Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day, the patron saints of all Slavs, turned in a mass protest against the Italian administration, one of the first that broke out in the Littoral Province. During the procession, the villagers used the national flag and chanted patriotic songs; the Italian police shot at them, injuring several, and arrested the parish priest. The 5th of July was made in 2006 the Village's Day, celebrated since then on the closest Saturday.
Written sources from the 19th century state that the village had at the time several brass bands performing in cultural events all the year round, mostly informal. Most men played in a band; accordingly, music was in the 19th century the largest village landmark and a means to overcome poverty and social barriers. This local musical tradition was revived in 1994, with the establishment of a brand new brass band directed by Ladislav Leška, subsequently succeeded by Gregor Bralič. The 250th anniversary of the first public performance of the village brass band was celebrated in 2002.

Source: Municipal website

The flag and arms of Prvačina, designed by Vesne Krašna, were adopted in 2006, following a public contest.
The flag is horizontally divided blue-green by a thin yellow horizontal stripe. The village's coat of arms, outlined in white, is placed in canton.
The coat of arms is divided blue-green by the skyline of the old town, dominated by the silhouette of the St. Andrew church. The green field is charged with a yellow brass instrument, representing the musical tradition that has made the fame of Prvačina since 250 years. The yellow base of the shield represents the fertile soils of the village, separated from the green field by a blue wavy stripe representing river Vipava.
Green represents vegetation and the natural environment (vineyards, orchards, meadows and woods), as well as freshness, life and hope. Blue represents the sky and water. Yellow is the color of the sun, also representing ripe peach orchards, ripe grain and maize crops, as well as vineyards in autumn.
[Municipal website]

The flag is hoisted on the town hall (photo) and on the post office, and used indoors as well.

Valentin Poposki & Ivan Sache, 22 May 2012