This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gelnica city (Slovakia)

Gelnica okres, Košice region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: gelnica |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




Gelnica flag submitted by Rob Raeside, 17 July 1999
adopted 1991 See also:

Gelnica flag

Images based on the Heraldický Register Slovenskej Republiky II, 2001 - Gelnica, Gelnica district, Košice region - adopted 1991, based on a seal dated 1497.
Jarig Bakker, 9 Sep 2004

Gelnica Coat of Arms

[Gelnica Coat of Arms] image from the same source.

Currently used coat of arms comes from the end of 13th century. It is in early gothic style on which there are four pictures. In the middle one there is a cross with two arms, on which sides are pieces of iron, arrows of which are directed towards the middle of the shield. In the spoke of the shield there is hammer standing on its handle. Cross with two arms was added to the blazon at the reign of Arpad's family, which was approx. before 1301 and it symbolises the mining city. These pictures are of silver colour on red background. The shape of the historical blazon was discovered from the oldest seal of city Gelnica, imprint of which is located in the Vienna Castle Archive and is impressed into red-brown wax on the deed from 1497. Its relief copy obtained using galvanoscopic method is stored in Hungary National Museum. There was made a zinc copy from it. Photocopy of the zinc blazon is displayed in its five times zoomed version in the Mining Museum.