This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Palárikovo (Slovakia)

Nové Zámky okres, Nitra region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: palarikovo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Palárikovo flag

[flag of Palárikovo] by Gunnar Staack, 12 June 2000

Palárikovo (1920-1948: Slovenský Meder; in Hungarian: Tótmegyer has 4.463 inhabitants (1990 census). In 1910: 3.603 inhabitants. The village was in the Nyitra (in Slovakian Nitra) County of the Kingdom of Hungary to 1918/1920 (Declarate of Martin / Treaty of Trianon). 1920-1938 part of Czechoslovakia, 1938-1944 part of Hungary (after the Decision of Vienna). The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated it to Czechoslovakia.
Slovenský Meder derived its name from the name of one of the Hungarian Tribes (Megyer). The Megyer Tribe was the tribe of the Arpad House. At the time of the Turkish war (1525-1699), the village lost its inhabitants, and the new Slovak settlers gave the new name Tót-Megyer. (Tót means Slovakian). Slovenský Meder got a new name in 1948: Palárikovo. Jan Palárik (1822-1870) was born in Csaca/Cadca (Trencsén/Trencín county), he was a Slovak linguist.
István Molnár, 29 Jun 2000


Palárikovo coat of arms

[Palárikovo Coat of Arms] image from this website, located by Jarig Bakker, 29 Sep 2001