This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Podolínec city (Slovakia)

Stará Ľubovňa okres, Prešov region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: podolinec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Podolínec flag

Podolínec flag submitted through Rob Raeside, 27 July 1999

Podolínec (Hungarian: Podolin, German: Pudlein, Polish: Podoliniec) was a German-Slovakian-Hungarian town in Szepes (in Slovakian Spiš, in German Zips) County of Hungary till 1918/1920 (Declaration of Martin).1920-1938 Czechoslovakian, 1939-1945 Slovakian, and 1945-1992 Czechoslovakian. The town has 2908 inhabitants (1990 census). It is located in the valley of the Poprad River near the Polish border. It became a town in 1343 (by King Louis the Great). From 1412 the town was a Free Royal City. The city with other 15 cities and towns had been pledged to King Vladislas, king of Poland by King Sigismund, king of Hungary in 1412 for 37.000 silver groat. 1412-1772 the city was the part of Poland. In 1772 (the year of the division of Poland) the "Sixteen Cities" had returned to Hungary.
István Molnár, 7 Sep 2000


Podolínec Coat of Arms

Podolínec Coat of Arms from http://www.tatrahome.sk/revue/erby/ . (!Link does not work any more!)