Last modified: 2018-12-09 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: el salvador | red cross |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Cruz Roja Salvadoreņa (Salvadorian Red Cross) was established on 13 March
1885 by the Government of El Salvador, at Luis Vandyck and Astor Marchesini's
request, the latter being appointed its first President. The organization's
baptism of fire was the war between Guatemala and the alliance set up by El
Salvador, Costa Rica and Nicaragua, which broke out on 28 March 1885. Political
unrest prevented subsequent operation of Cruz Roja until the disbanding of the
Republic of Central America; on 31 October 1898, the Supreme Council of Cruz
Roja Salvadoreņa was organized. On 5 July 1918, the Supreme Council adopted new
Statutes, compliant with the Geneva Convention of 1864. Cruz Roja Salvadoreņa
was officially recognized on 25 April 1925 by the ICRC.
The flag of Cruz Roja Salvadoreņa is white with the emblem of the organization in the center. The emblem is a white rectangle outlined in black, charged in the center with a Red Cross and the name of the organization, written in black capital letters on two lines.
image by Ivan Sache, 15 April 2018
The flag shown on a photo dated 2001 is inscribed with the name of the organization written in red capital letters on a single line beneath the Red Cross.
Ivan Sache, 15 April 2018