Last modified: 2016-10-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: divriği |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Divriği - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 24 August 2015
The municipality of Divriği (16,272 inhabitants in 2012, 10,824 in the town proper; 27,238 ha) is located in central Anatolia.
Ivan Sache, 28 February 2016
The flag of Divriği is white with the municipality's emblem in the middle. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem of the municipality features the castle and the great mosque of Divriği. The great mosque and the adjacent hospital were inscribed on the UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1985, with the following description:
Located on the slopes below the castle of Divriği, the Great Mosque and Hospital of Divriği is a remarkable building combining a monumental hypostyle mosque with a two storey hospital, which includes a tomb. Founded by the Mengücekide emir Ahmed Shah following the victory of the Seljuk Turks over the Byzantine army at the battle of Malazgirt in 1071, the mosque is dominated externally by the hexagonal, pointed roofed dome over its mihrab (prayer niche), a cupola over the ablutions basin in the centre of the prayer hall and elaborately carved monumental stone portals on the north and west. Internally, four rows of four piers create five naves roofed by a variety of intricately carved stone vaults. The adjoining hospital, the Darush-shifa, was founded by Ahmet Shah’s wife Turan Melek and designed by the architect Hurrem Shah, in 1228-1229. It is entered via a monumental, elaborately carved stone portal on the west, leading into a double height atrium formed by four massive piers supporting a dome with an oculus over a central pool, around which are located the hospital rooms.
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 28 February 2016