Last modified: 2012-02-11 by rick wyatt
Keywords: cutler bay | florida | miami-dade county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 23 February 2009
The Town of Cutler Bay (24,781 inhabitants in 2000; 1,260 ha), located in Miami-Dade County, is named after Dr. William C. Cutler, a surgeon from Chelsea, Massachusetts, who bought 600 acres from the "Big Hunting Ground", parts of the Perrine Grant awarded to Dr. Henry Perrine in 1838. The first permanent resident in the place was William Fuzzard, who built a home in 1883 and cut a path through the wilderness, later widened to a wagon trail. Declared a public road in 1895, the Old Cutler Road was declared a State Historic Highway in 1974 by the Florida Legislature. Organized only in the early 1950s by David Blumberg and Joe Segal, as Cutler Ridge, Cutler Bay was chartered on 8 November 2005 (with effect the next day), following a vote by the residents held in January 2005. The Town of Cutler Bay is therefore the youngest incorporated municipality in Florida.
www.cutlerbay-fl.gov/history.php - Town website
In the "Miami Herald", 22 February 2009, Howard Cohen reports that the Town Council has adopted a town flag on 18 February 2009:
"The [..] flag -- the town logo on a white background -- was expected to be unfurled Saturday at Cutler Bay's third annual Founder's Day Celebration at Cutler Ridge Park."
www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/pinecrest/story/914507.html - The Miami Herald website
A large image of the town logo is shown on the Miami-Dade County website. The logo shows the sun and green plants over the sea (shown as a blue cartouche with three lighter blue waves) and a heron, and bears the writings "Cutler Bay" (in white letters on the sea), "FLORIDA" (in black letters in a pink cartouche) and "ESTABLISHED 2005" (in blue letters under the cartouche).
www.miamidade.gov/mdpd/BureausDivisions/Unit_Municipal_Services.asp - Miami-Dade County website
Ivan Sache, 23 February 2009