This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rising Sun, Maryland (U.S.)

Cecil County

Last modified: 2016-12-11 by rick wyatt
Keywords: rising sun | maryland | cecil county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Rising Sun, Maryland] image by Randy Young, 29 July 2016



See also:


Description of the Flag

Rising Sun is a town in Cecil County in northeastern Maryland. The area was settled by Quakers from Pennsylvania in 1702 and subsequently claimed by that colony, over the objections of the colony of Maryland. When Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon surveyed the border in the 1760s creating the Mason-Dixon Line separating Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland, it was found that the area settled by the Quakers did, indeed, belong to Maryland. About 1815, the name "Rising Sun" was chosen for the growing town, hearkening back to the name of the original tavern in the town and coach stop in the 1720s The Rising Sun.
sources: wikipedia and www.risingsunmd.org

The flag of the town of Rising Sun can be seen online in a photograph of the 2013 Maryland Municipal League's Parade of Flags. The flag features the town seal centered on a white field. The seal itself features a gold banner bearing the words "TOWN OF" in small, grey, capital letters; "RISING SUN" below that in large, black, capital letters; and "MARYLAND" at the bottom in the same small, grey, lettering. A circular design is behind the banner, the lower part of which falls below the banner and features the words "INCORPORATED 1860" in small, black, capital letters on a light blue background. The area above the banner shows elements of the Calvert arms on the left and the Crossland arms on the right (taken from the Maryland state flag), with light blue and pale blue rays emanating outward to represent the rising sun. Rising straight up from the center of the seal is a grey obelisk bearing the words "MASON - DIXON LINE" just like the ones used to mark the original Mason-Dixon Line which finally determined the town's status in the 1760s.

Randy Young, 26 July 2016