Last modified: 2020-09-12 by rick wyatt
Keywords: savage | minnesota | scott county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Masao Okazaki, 9 August 2020
The city of Savage (25,065 inhabitants in 2000; 4,280 ha) is located 25 km south-west of Minneapolis.
On 23 July 2009, the "Savage Pacer" published a photo taken by Katrina Stytz during the inauguration of the Scott County Fair. "Representatives raised flags for each of the cities in Scott County as well as Minnesota, the University of Minnesota, and Scott County - it's an annual ritual during the Scott County Fair's opening ceremony." On the photo, Mayor Janet Williams readies the flag of Savage. (www.savagepacer.com/news/photographs/raising-citys-flag-fair-11445)
The exact design of the flag is not easily guessed, but the flag, unsurprisingly, shows the logo of the city, which can be seen on the city website at http://www.cityofsavage.com.
The logo recalls that the city, originally known as Hamilton, was renamed after M. W. Savage, the founder and owner of the International Stock Food Factory in Minneapolis, which manufactured and sold animal feed as well as veterinary supplies. Savage purchased the famous horse Dan Patch in 1902 and housed it in Hamilton in a complex including a one-mile track, a covered half-mile track and a heated stable with an onion shaped dome. In 1904, Dan Patch had contributed so much to the fame of the city that its inhabitants decided to rename it Savage. In 1906, at the Minnesota State Fair, Dan Patch broke the world record by completing the mile in 1 minute and 55 seconds, a record kept for 54 years. Dan Patch retired from competition in 1909; Savage did not survive more than one day the death of his cherished pacer.
In summer 1923, an aviator crashed, without being injured, in Savage. His name, at the time of little significance, was Charles Lindbergh.
http://www.cityofsavage.com - City of Savage website
Ivan Sache, 29 August 2009