Last modified: 2017-11-18 by rick wyatt
Keywords: morris county | new jersey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dave Martucci, 1 December 2002
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Morris County:
The Morris County flag was adopted in 1956.
Source: David Martucci: "The flags of New Jersey" in Flag Bulletin X:2-3 (from III.ICV); Flag Research Center, Winchester.
Jens Pattke, 9 May 2001
From Governor Lewis Morris, who was largely responsible for separation of New Jersey from New York in colonial times, this county derives its name and many of the elements of its coat of arms. The heraldic description of the arms is:
Quarterly, first and fourth argent, three torteaux; second and third gules, a lion rampant or. Upon a knightly helm, argent, mantled or, a wreath of the colors surmounted by a castle tower enflammed proper. Beneath the escutcheon, a ribbon azure with the motto TANDEM VINCITUR argent.
The county flag, like the arms, was designed in 1956 by Albert O. Halse. It has three unequal [vertical] stripes of yellow, white and yellow with the arms in color over the words MORRIS COUNTY written [in Old English script] in blue except for the initial letters which are red. The three stripes recall the three countries (England, Germany and the Netherlands) from which the early settlers came.
Dave Martucci, 1 December 2002