Last modified: 2017-08-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | putnam county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 13 October 2005
Once the southern portion of Dutchess County, Putnam was formed on June 12, 1812 when the New York State Legislature deeded what are now the towns of Carmel, Kent, Patterson, Philipstown, Putnam Valley and Southeast, approximately 246 square miles, as an independent county. It was named for Gen. Israel Putnam, a hero in the French and Indian War and a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Olivier Touzeau, 25 August 2013
A photo of the flag of Putnam County, New York was at http://encompass.geneseo.edu/encarch/aug30.html [no longer available]. The flag has a large county seal on a blue field. A separate image of the seal is at www.danbirmingham.com/images/thome_seal.jpg.
Ned Smith, 24 July 2005
located by Paul Bassinson, 8 December 2016
Image obtained from www.putnamcountyny.com.
image by Jens Pattke, 31 July 2013
The prominent image on this flag celebrates Putnam's 2012 bicentennial: Two American flags - the one flown in 1812 and in 2012 - are shown. An image of the county's famous courthouse and its namesake, General Israel Putnam, sit inside the shield. The three circles are the original county seal (on the left), the current seal (on the bottom), and a War of 1812 soldier's grave marker (on the right).
Jens Pattke, 31 July 2013
image located by Vanya Poposki, 25 August 2013