This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ross County, Ohio (U.S.)

Last modified: 2013-11-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: ross county | ohio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Ross County, Ohio]
image located at The Flag Lady's Flag Store by Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003

Known Flag - indicates flag is known.
No Known Flag - indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.

Municipal flags in Ross County:

See also:

Description of the flag

A dark green swallowtail-like flag, but with the cut-out filled in brown and a large white star. The green field is overlain by a smaller white swallowtail, on which is a map of the county bearing an image of a sunrise behind two green hills, and a courthouse, in front of which a horse is pulling a barge on a canal. The county name is above, and the slogan HOME OF OHIO'S FIRST CAPITAL 1798 is below.
Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003

In response to the request from the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, all Ross County schools were invited to participate in "Leave a Legacy: Design a Ross County Flag." In 2002, entries from each district were judged by a panel of Commissioners and educators. The winning entry was a team effort by 150 fourth grade students of art teacher Sharon Eley at Unioto Elementary School. Graphic designer, John Catlett created the final version of the Ross County Flag. The flag was adopted by the Ross County Commissioners on December 27, 2005.

Symbols on the flag represent Tecumseh (the arrow), Adena and the Great Seal of Ohio (hills and sun), Chillicothe as the first capital of Ohio (statehouse), mule and canal boat (Erie Canal route), and the star for WWI veterans. The fourth grade children wanted the WWI soldiers represented, because many of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers served in that war. The outline of the county is also imaged on the flag.

Ross County was established in 1798. Territorial Governor Arthur St. Clair named the county after his friend, James Ross, a U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania.

Located by Valentin Poposki, 26 September 2007