Last modified: 2013-10-19 by rick wyatt
Keywords: mariemont | ohio | hamilton county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 23 December 2012
The flag was designed in 1965 by Mrs. Schwenkmeyer, a long time Mariemont resident and artist. Only a few copies were made, one of them hanging in the Mayor's Chamber. A second one was offered by the US Bank to Ron Salzano, the owner of the Mariemont Barber Shop. The whereabouts of additional flags are unknown.
The obituary of Carolyn Schwenkmeyer (1910-2011), published in "The Cincinnati Enquirer", 16 February 2011, gives more accurate information on the flag.
"The Mariemont flag, which depicts the Emery Memorial Carillon bell tower in Dogwood Park, was unveiled at the Labor Day Festival Sept. 3, 1979, after Mrs. Schwenkmeyer won a design contest."
The Emery Memorial Carillon recalls Mary Emery (1844-1927), who founded the village of Mariemont in the 1920s.
Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012