This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Leon Valley, Texas (U.S.)

Bexar County

Last modified: 2019-08-14 by rick wyatt
Keywords: leon valley | texas | bexar county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Leon Valley, Texas] image by Masao Okazaki, 7 July 2019



See also:


Description of the flag

An image of the flag of the city of Leon Valley, Texas, was obtained from http://helotesecho.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/IMG_1183-e1508945048306.jpg. The flag is green with the seal centered.
Paul Bassinson, 8 May 2019

Leon Valley has reached 65 years of age. What use to be a small little hamlet with fields, pastures, and livestock has grown to a busy city. To celebrate the birthday and to pay homage to the history of the City, Leon Valley officials held a flag ceremony last Tuesday before the regular City Council meeting. The Mayor read a proclamation and the Honor Guard of the Leon Valley Fire Department performed the flag raising ceremony to place the flag on the City Hall’s flag pole.

Excerpts from Valley of the Lions: The birth of Leon Valley, by Linda Cooper Persyn and Barbara Poss Fryer
At the time Leon Valley was incorporated in 1952, the city of San Antonio was in the process of annexing that area of land in Northwest Bexar County. In order not to become part of the sprawling giant, the farmers, ranchers and others who liked the wide open spaces and country living had what they called their “Midnight Ride”, just like the more famous one. One of San Antonio’s plans for the area was to install a sewage processing plant just southeast of Huebner and Evers Roads. Armed with this information and a petition for incorporation, several of the area residents quickly drew a map of the proposed boundaries for the City of Leon Valley. Included in this group were Stephen F. Austin III, Raymond Rimkus, Joe Doyle, Bob Doyle and Kenneth Alley. The original boundaries were: Callaghan Road on the south, Babcock Road on the east, Culebra Road on the west, and Eckhert Road on the north. The petition was filed, stating that Leon Valley wished to incorporate as a General Law city. Provisional status was granted and the newly formed city of Leon Valley proceeded to elect Aldermen to represent the citizens and conduct city business.

In 1954, it was discovered that Leon Valley was almost at the deadline of its provisional status and was about to lose its designation as a city. The state determined that it had been illegally incorporated, since the General Law of a non home rule city only allowed an area of two square miles and a population of at least two hundred residents. The city had also neglected to hold any city council meetings or conduct any city business during the two years of its existence. Fortunately, S F Austin’s attorney, Boles Matocha, was Secretary of State at the time, under Governor James Allred. He informed Austin of the situation and explained that he had 48 hours to find a remedy. Austin had some engineering and surveying experience, so after alerting the Leon Valley mayor and council, he worked with them to redraw the city boundaries. They had to gerrymander the border to obtain the two hundred people necessary to meet the requirements. The area was still largely rural and it was not an easy task. The border, in some instances, went down the middle of the road if no one lived on the other side, to save valuable footage for areas that were populated. The boundaries were set, public meetings were held, the new plat was approved and the City of Leon Valley was reborn![...]
http://helotesecho.com/leon-valley-unveils-new-city-flag-to-celebrate-65-years/
Ivan Sache, 8 May 2019