Last modified: 2011-12-03 by rick wyatt
Keywords: poquoson | virginia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 30 June 2009
The flag of the City of Poquoson, Virginia, is horizontal bicolor, Old Gold over Maroon, with city seal in the center. Vicki Diggs, CMC, Executive Assistant/Deputy City Clerk, Poquoson City Manager's Office, sent me a document about ordering flags, which suggests that the flag was adopted somewhere in 1981. The seal was adopted in 1980 and here is its official description:
"The corporate seal of the City of Poquoson shall consist of a circle within a circle, the inner seal, depicting an Indian in a log canoe paddling on a body of water from left to right with marshgrass and cattails in the foreground. The water shall disappear to a vanishing point towards the center of the inner circle with trees and shrubbery on the left and right banks of the river. There shall be four ducks flying from left to right in the sky above the water with a series of white clouds in the sky above the trees on the river bank. The outside ring of the seal shall consist of the words, "City of Poquoson, Virginia" in a semi-circle centered above the seal and the dates "1631-1975-1952" shall be centered below the inner seal; these words and dates shall be on a background of dark blue and shall be in gold letters. There shall be a gold border on the outside perimeter of the seal and the perimeter separating the phrase, "City of Poquoson, Virginia" and the dates "1631-1975- 1952" from the inner seal."
About the city:
"Poquoson is an independent city located on the Virginia Peninsula, in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. As of 2007, the city population was 11,858. Poquoson, which was formerly part of York County, became an incorporated town in 1952 and an independent city in 1975. (In Virginia, municipalities incorporated as independent cities are not part of any county.) However, the ties remain close. Over 30 years after Poquoson became a politically independent entity, some constitutional services such as the courts, sheriff and jail continue to be shared with neighboring York County. Poquoson is one of the oldest continuously named cities in Virginia. It is also one of the few to retain a name which derived from the Native Americans who inhabited the area before colonization by the English began in the 17th century. The name of the city is a Native American word which roughly translates to "great marsh" or "flat land." The term pocosin, with its varied spellings, was a term used by the area's inhabitants to describe a low, marshy, woody place covered by water in the winter, but is dry in the summer. These Native Americans were Algonquins, a tribal group affiliated through the Powhatan Confederacy, and were hostile to the early settlers." - from Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poquoson,_Virginia.
Valentin Poposki, 25 June 2009