Last modified: 2019-04-13 by rick wyatt
Keywords: st. andrew's bay yacht club | united states yacht club | florida |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 19 March 2019
Estb. 1933. Location: Panama City.
Burgee: Pennant circa 7:11(web image). Yellow field charged horizontally with the purple (?) letters St. ABYC.
Source: accessed 14 March 2019,
"The St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club is one of the oldest and most prestigious yacht clubs on the Northern Gulf Coast. The club, which had its first meeting in 1933 in the depth of the Great Depression, was formed by a group of prominent business and professional leaders in Panama City. The first commodore was Major Frank B. Wood. Among the charter members was H. L. Sudduth, developer of the Cove residential area, who donated the land where the clubhouse now stands. The minutes of the organizational meeting in August 1933 indicate that future meetings would be held in the Dixie Sherman Hotel on the mezzanine level until a permanent clubhouse could be built. Other charter members were: M. J. Daffin, later longtime Sheriff of Bay County; Thomas Sale, a prominent attorney who also served as major of Panama City; Harry G. Fannin, a leading banker in town; and A. J. Smith, founder of Panama Machine and Supply Company.
The stationery of the Yacht Club in 1937 shows the Commodore to be A. M.
Lewis, the father of H. Mack Lewis, the well known Panama City business and
civic leader who also served as commodore in the nineteen sixties. Named on the
letterhead as Honorary Commodore was Asa G. Candler, founder of the Coca Cola
Company of Atlanta; he had a summer home down the street from the Club on
Bunkers Cove Road. Candler donated the cup which is competed for in the annual
Candler Regatta at which St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club is host each year."
Source, Accessed 12 March 2019, https://www.stabyc.com/
Peter Edwards, 19 March 2019