This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Venezuela - Educational Institutions Part II

Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: venezuela | university |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Other Sites:


Universidad de Margarita UNIMAR


image by Ivan Sache, 6 March 2007

The flag of this university is at <www.unimar.edu.ve> (defunct).
Dov Gutterman, 3 March 2002

The Flag of University of Margarita is dexter hoist; this is, the hoist seen at the left of the observer and therefore the logotype appears on the lower fly. The prevailing vexillological custom in Venezuela is that the flags are dexter hoisted or with the hoist sees to left of the observer. We can describe the Flag of University of Margarita in this way: a field with approximate ratio 2:3 diagonally divided from upper fly to lower hoist in two stripes: blue and white, showing on this last one the logotype of the Institution (blue circle with letters U in superior part and M in the inferior part, both white)
Raul Orta, 3 March 2003

The University of Margarita, nicknamed "Alma Mater del Caribe", is located on the Margarita island, state of Nueva Esparta, 38 km off the north-eastern coast of Venezuela. This private University was founded by Presidential Decree No 34 on 20 November 1998; it was inaugurated on 1 November 1999.
Source: <www.unimar.edu.ve>.
Ivan Sache, 6 March 2007


Universidad Metropolitana


image by Guillermo T. Aveledo, 15 September 2000

Universidad Metropolitana - Metropolitan University - Caracas
Guillermo T. Aveledo, 15 September 2000

In May 1964, Eugenio Mendoza founded a civil association to promote the foundation of a University. On 21 October 1970, the University National Council authorized the foundation of Universidad Metropolitana (Unimet) in Caracas. The University was inaugurated the next day in the former seat of Colegio América in San Bernardino. In 1976, the University moved to its current seat in La Urbina and built a 100-ha campus. The University has now 5,000 students and 500 professors
The University website shows the flag of the University with a "floating pattern". There are a few differences with the flag shown above:
- the colour of the flag is more orange and less red
- the UM logotype is orange and not black
- there are seven upper and five lower orange "stripes" instead of five and five.
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2007


Universidad Nacional Experimental del Táchira


image by Dov Gutterman, 22 July 2002


The Emblem
image by Raul Orta, 26 July 2002

Based on <www.unet.edu.ve>.
Dov Gutterman, 22 July 2002

The Flag - Attributes - The National Experimental University of Táchira is an educational entity located on the Táchira State, at the Southwest of Venezuela. Its flag consists of a field with approximate ratio 2:3 or square and half of length, horizontally divided on two stripes: white the superior and blue the inferior. The Official Emblem of the Intitution in blue to the canton completes the conjunct.
The Emblem - Attributes and Semiology - It consist in a super streamlined and kinetic arrange of the letters U and T that alludes to the name of the Institution.
Source: National Experimental University of Táchira Web Site <www.unet.edu.ve>.
Raul Orta, 26 July 2002


Universidad Nacional Experimental Politècnica de la Fuerza Armada (UNEFA)


image by Raul Orta, 2 April 2003


image by Raul Orta, 2 April 2003

The standard and Coat of Arms of the National Experimental Politechnic University of the Venezuelan Armed Force (Initials UNEFA in Spanish), the former "University Politechnic Institute of the National Armed Forces" (Initials IUPFAN in Spanish)
1.- STANDARD - ATTRIBUTES - Consist in a regular (rectangular) field with ratio 2:3; this is, square and half of longitude. On its blue field gilded fringed appears the Coat of Arms of the Institute in all its official attributes and surrounding it the denomination "UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL EXPERIMENTAL POLITECNICA DE LA FUERZA ARMADA" (NATIONAL EXPERIMENTAL POLITECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE VENEZUELAN ARMED FORCE) in golden roman capital letters.
- SEMIOLOGY - Blue signs the Great Ideals, High Spirit, the Loyalty and the Perseverance which anime the action and activities which belongs to the Institute whilst its Coat of Arms and denomination rebounds the privilege of the formation in its classrooms making honor to its motto: "EDUCATIVE EXCELLENCE".
2.- COAT OF ARMS .- ATTRIBUTES - Consist in an Spaniard shape with only one quarter or simple Azure (blue) field which charges an emblematic conjunct integrated by an eagle with downed wings nascent from a tierced round shield superposed to an anchor and a balance, with a constellation of seven five-pointed stars disposed in arc on the chief, all in Argent (white). Border in Or (yellow) with the inscription "UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL EXPERIMENTAL POLITÉCNICA DE LA FUERZA ARMADA" ("NATIONAL EXPERIMENTAL POLITECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE VENEZUELAN ARMED FORCE") in gothic capital letters enameled on Sable (black), disposed on the flanks and base of the Coat of Arms. As external ornaments, the blazon shows a torch in Or (yellow) flamed in the same enamel and Gules (red) disposed at the back of the field and a pennant tierced in Or (yellow), Azure (blue) and Gules (red) that charges as mottoes the ephemeris "3 DE FEBRERO DE 1974" (February 3rd, 1974) and "26 DE ABRIL DE 1999" (April 26th, 1999) in gothic capital letters enameled in Sable (black).
- SEMIOLOGY - The field is enameled in Azure for sign the Great Ideals, the High Spirit, the Loyalty and the Perseverance which inspired the action and activities which belongs to the Institute. The Constellation of seven five-pointed stars symbolizes the Venezolanity and remembers the Constance in the Services; by one hand and by the other, the shine of the Personal and Professional Virtues of the Docent, Administrative and Pupil's Personnel of the University. The central emblematic conjunct symbolizes the union of the four components of Venezuelan Armed Force: the round shield represents the Army; the anchor remembers the Navy; the eagle symbolizes the Aviation and the balance alludes to the National Guard: all enameled in Argent for sign the Clarity, the Eloquence, the Integrity and the Truth required of the Personnel adscript to the Institute in the exercise of their functions The border in Or remembers the Joy, the Constance, the Generosity and the Nobleness: virtues which adorn who is called to conduce the destinies of the University whilst its denomination rebound its Corporative Identity, Values, Traditions and Objects. The torch represents the Knowledge and the Study which encounter on the Institute's classrooms  a propitious and fecund place for its development and progress. The pennant, reaffirmation of the Patriotic felling which encounters echo in the Institute, shows the dates of its foundation and elevation to the University range as a tribute to everyone who formed and form a part of it for the realization of all that contract its motto: EDUCATIVE EXCELLENCE for contribute efficiently to the Progress of our Homeland.
3.- HISTÓRICAL SYNTHESIS - It was created by Colonel (Venezuelan National Guard) MARIO MUÑOZ CABRERA. Initially was conceived for represent INSTITUTO UNIVERSITARIO POLITÉCNICO DE LAS FUERZAS ARMADAS NACIONALES (UNIVERSITY POLITECHNIC INSTITUTE OF NATIONAL ARMED FORCES), which with the pass of the time was elevated to the category that today have as UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL EXPERIMENTAL POLITECNICA DE LA FUERZA ARMADA - UNEFA (NATIONAL EXPERIMENTAL POLITECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE VENEZUELAN ARMED FORCE).
Raul Orta, 2 April 2003

The UNEFA official website now shows and describes a different shield . Since there is no reason to question Raul Orta's report, it is clear that the shield was changed. The new shield has eight stars instead of seven and shows a portrait of Simon Bolivar; it was therefore undoubtly adopted as a symbol of President Chávez' Bolivarian Revolution.
The burning torch represents sport as the spirit of the University. The eight stars represent the eight provinces of Venezuela. The book symbolizes wisdom, perseverance and self-abnegation in the studies. The central figure (left) is a portrait of Simon Bolivar, representing the ideology of the Bolivarian process. The central figure (right) represents the four components of the armed forces. In the previous version of the shield, there was no book and the emblem of the armed forces was placed directly on the blue background of the shield. The tricolor scroll bears the name of the country and the date of foundation of UNEFA, 26 April 1999 (by Presidential Decree No 115). On the former shield, the scroll bore two dates (not shown on the image but described in the companion text), 3 February 1974 having been deleted from the current scroll.
Ivan Sache, 7 March 2007


Universidad de Oriente


image by Ivan Sache, 30 October 2014

Universidad de Oriente (UDO) was established by Decree-Law No. 459 of 21 November 1958. Basic Course started in Cumaná (Sucre State) on 12 February 1960. Centers were subsequently established in Maturin (Monagas State; School of Agronomic and Oil Engineering, October 1961), Ciudad Bolívar (Bolívar State; School of Medicine and School of Geology and Mining, 8 January 1962), Barcelona (Anzoátegui State; School of Engineering and Chemistry, 9 January 1963), and Nueva Esparta (Nueva Sparta State; Basic Course, 21 January 1969).
The flag of UDO is King blue with the university's emblem in the middle. The flag shall be hoisted in the presidium at the left of the national flag.
The emblem of UDO, designed by the founding director, Dr. Luis Manuel Peñalver, features a star shaped like a compass rose, divided into eight equal, white and black parts, whose points indicate the points of horizon, principally the Orient, from which raises not only the sun, but also all the stars that symbolize Universidad de Oriente. The star is interlaced with ellipses formed by the movement of three yellow atoms, as a representation of science, and placed on a cyan blue disk surrounded by an orange ring bordered yellow and inscribed with "UNIVERSIDAD DE ORIENTE" (top) and "VENEZUELA" (bottom), in yellow letters of the Times New Roman font.
Source: http://www.udo.edu.ve/index.php/la-universidad/simbolos-oficiales - University's website
Ivan Sache, 30 October 2014


Universidad Pedagógica Experimental Libertador


image by Ivan Sache, 10 August 2002

Universidad Pedagógica Experimental Libertador - The emblem of the University was designed by the artist Alvaro Sotillo. It is an abstract representation of nine books. Eight of these books represent the eight Institutes which constitute the University, and the ninth book represents the Rectoral Seat. In 1989, the original grey colour of the books was changed to blue.
The flag has a white field with the emblem of the University in upper left part and the name of the University beside it. In the lower part of the flag, eight thin green stripes represent the eight Institutes of the University. Green is the colour traditionally associated to the Doctoral stuides in the UPEL.
UPEL was created by Decree #2176 of 28 July 1983 as an hommage to Simon bolivar for the bicentenary of his birth.
Source: <www.upel.edu.ve>.
Ivan Sache, 10 August 2002


Universidad Simón Bolívar


image by Raul Orta, 26 July 2002


The Emblem
image by Raul Orta, 26 July 2002

Based on <www.usb.ve>.
Dov Gutterman, 22 July 2002

The Flag - Attributes - The Simon Bolivar University is an educative entity located on Sartenejas Valley, Sucre Municipality of Miranda State, very near Caracas. It flag consists of a yellow field of approximated ratio 2:3 or square and half of length, with the Institute Official Emblem in black on the center.
Historical Synthesis - The SBU flag' design was made on 1972, when a group of professors  were dedicated to the work to conceive the elements for bring the sport delegations with an emblem. In that opportunity, it was decided by a yellow rectangle with the Institute's Emblem in black on the center and underneath this one the abbreviations USB (Universidad Simon Bolivar in Spanish). Later, on June 1987, it was decided the elimination of the abbreviations. The official flag of Simon Bolivar University is hoisted near to the National Flag of Venezuela, in National and Institutional holidays, in the Benjamín Mendoza Hall:  the most important of the campus, in sport delegations, student groupings and the Firemen Body of the Institution.
The Emblem - Attributes and Semiology - The figure is made up with eight semicircular lines and a small rectangle placed on the center forming a structure similar to a rounded pyramid, whose meaning is a porch in which it's made the unity of diverse knowledge and its projection towards the future.
Historical Synthesis - From the existing confluence between the name "Simon Bolivar University" and its motto "the University of the Future", the designer Gerd Leufert made the design of the Emblem being inspired by the photographic reproduction of an electrical circuit.
Source: Simon Bolivar University Web Site <www.usb.ve>.
Raul Orta, 26 July 2002

The logo of the University was designed by Gerd Leufert. It is based on the photographical representation of an electrical circuit. The logo is made of eight semi-circular lines arranged around a small rectangle. The logo constitutes a portico which symbolizes the unity of the different sciences and their projection into the future. The flag of the University was designed in 1972 by a group of professors in order to give the sport team a flag. The first flag was yellow with the logo of the University and its acronym USB. The acronym was suppressed from the flag in June 1987. The flag of the University is hoisted side by side with the Venezuelian national flag for the national and institutional days, in the Benjamin Mendoza Hall, by the sport teams, student associations and the fire brigade of the University.
Ivan Sache, 10 August 2002


Universidad Zulia


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

"Universidad del Zulia" (LUZ - "light" in Spanish) traces back to "Colegio Nacional de Maracaibo", founded on 2 March 1837 by National Decree and inaugurated on 19 April 1839. Closed in 1848 because of the political unrest, the "Colegio" resumed its activity on 13 January 1850 with two classes in Latin Grammar and Spanish Grammar; classes in Law, Medicine, Navigation (incl. Cosmography, Trigonometry, Mathematics, Draftmanship and Philosophy) were added in 1854. In 1864, the Federal Revolution transformed the Provinces into States; the Maracaibo Province became the Zulia State and "Colegio Nacional de Maracaibo" was renamed "Colegio Nacional del Zulia". On 17 September 1882, the national colleges became federal colleges, so that "Colegio Nacional del Zulia" was renamed "Colegio Federal del Zulia".
Following efficient lobbying by the Zulia Representatives Rafael López Baralt, Francisco Eugenio Bustamante and Antonio Aranguren, the National Congress upgraded on 29 May 1891 the "Colegio Federal del Zulia" to the "University del Zulia", with a full university status. The new university was inaugurated on 11 September 1894. In 1897-1900, the university was directed by Francisco Eugenio Bustamante, then considered as the best doctor and surgeon in the country, also a liberal politician and a positivist scientist.
In 1904, the university was divided into the four Faculties of Political Sciences, Medical Sciences, Pharmacy and Ecclesiastic Sciences. The first Gilded Age of the university ended the same year, when the university was closed by order of President Cipriano Castro and replaced by the "Instituto Náutico". Castro believed that the two universities of Caracas and Mérida were enough for training doctors,
lawyers, engineers and theologians, while technical institutes were required to train the other students.
Oil was found in 1922 in Zulia, so that it replaced in 1926 coffee as the first source of income in the state. A College of Political Sciences was founded in Maracaibo on 13 August 1930 by National Decree. Its director, Jesús Enrique Lossada, campaigned for the reopening of the University, which he eventually obtained by a Decree of the Government Revolutionary Junta, signed on 15 June 1946. On 5 August 1946, Lossada was appointed Rector of LUZ, which then included the three Faculties of Medicine, Engineering and Law.
Today, LUZ caters 51,600 students and 4,000 professors, spread over the three campuses of Maracaibo, Cabimas and Punto Fijo. LUZ is organized in the 11 Faculties of Agronomy, Architecture and Design, Economic and Social Sciences, Law and Political Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Experimental Art, Experimental Sciences, Humanities and Education, Engineering, Medicine and Odontology).
Source: Official website

The flag of LUZ is white with the coat of arms of the University in the upper left corner and the letters "LUZ" in the lower right corner. White represents the combination of the seven colors formed by light (Spanish, "luz") broken up by a prism.
The coat of arms of LUZ was designed by Jesús Enrique Lossada, the first director of LUZ after its reopening in 1946 - and, most probably, the inventor of the "LUZ" abbreviation. The shield is elliptic, with a field deep sky blue totally covered by small white clouds stretched in the horizontal direction. The elements of the shield concur to symbolize that, in spite of 42 years of closure and darkness, light ("luz"), truth and knowledge shine again. The shield has two inscriptions indicating the dates of opening and reopening, and the Latin motto "POST NUBILA PHOEBUS" (After the clouds, the sun - here personalized by the Latin name of God Apollo).
Source: Official website

LUZ maintains a "bosque de banderas", that is a "forest of flags", made, from viewer's left to right, of the following flags:

1. Venezuela
2. Zulia
3. LUZ

4. Law and Political Sciences (red)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

5. Medicine (light yellow)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

6. Engineering (blue)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

7. Odontology (purple)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

8. Economic and Social Sciences (fuchsia)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

9. Humanities and Education (gray)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

10. Agronomy (green)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

11. Architecture (light blue)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

12. Veterinary Sciences (dark yellow)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

13. Experimental Sciences (beige)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

14. Punto Fijo seat (water green)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

15. Cabimas seat (salmon)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

16. Experimental Arts (red wine)


image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

Sources: Official leaflet
Photo of the "bosque de banderas", in reverse order (that is, rear view) - as expected, the national flag is hoisted higher than the other flags.
Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011


Student Bolivarian Societies

1)
image by Guillermo T. Aveledo , 1 March 2000

2)
image by Guillermo T. Aveledo , 1 March 2000

Sociedades Bolivarianas Estudiantiles (Student Bolivarian Societies) - The SBCs are societies formed throughout Venezuela's schools in order to honour and cherish the thought and work of Venezuela's Liberator Simon Bolivar, who led (or intervened protagonically in) the wars of independance of six countries (or countries to be) from Spanish rule: these countries are today's Panama, Colombia, Venezuela (his birthplace), Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru. These are the "bolivarian" countries (only Venezuela has constitutionally declared itself a "bolivarian" republic), whose flag colours serve as the colours of the Student Bolivarian Societies flags: five stripes of (from top to bottom or viceversa) yellow, blue, red, white and green, with a yellow "B" on a red canton on the middle of the hoist side, with the height of three of the stripes. These flags are often seen in parades and on schoolyards.
I am not sure wether these flags are used in any of the other "bolivarian" countries.
Guillermo T. Aveledo , 1 March 2000