Last modified: 2015-02-01 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 18 November 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Comercial Francisco Cartusciello, located in
Sabanagrande (Atlántico Department) is made of the four seats Francisco
Cartusciello (No. 1, 1,483 students), Policarpa Salavarrieta (No. 2, 740
students), María Auxiliadora (No. 3, 526 students), and Santa Rita (No. 4, 400
students). Colegio de Bachillerato Técnico Comercial de Sabanagrande was
originally established by Ordinance No. 35 of 6 December 1970; classes started
on 6 February 1971. Institución Educativa Técnica Comercial Francisco
Cartusciello was established by Resolution No. 3,832 of 24 November 2003.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green with a thin horizontal blue stripe in the middle.
Source: http://instecfranciscocartusciello.blogspot.fr/ - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 18 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2014
Colegio Francisco de Paula Santander originates in a rural school established
in 1938 by the municipality of Bosa (Bogotá). The institute is named for the
hero of the Colombian independence Francisco José de Paula Santander y Ornaņa
(1792-1840), Vice-President of the Republic of Colombia (1821-1827) and
President of the Republic of the New Granada (1832-1837).
The flag of the institute was adopted in March 2003 by the Board of Directors among the proposals submitted in a contest. The flag has in the upper left corner a yellow sun meaning that the light of knowledge enlightens us and transcends our lives. Two red lines issuant from the sun delimit three stripes. Red is a symbol of joy, friendship and love. The upper stripe is gray, a symbol of knowledge. The middle stripe is white. The lower stripe is blue, a symbol of faith, virtue, and spirit of fighting and surpassing. The letters "FPS" are placed in the lower fly, meaning "Francisco de Paula Santander" and "Formación" (Education) with "Proyección Social" (Social Projection).
http://fps04.weebly.com/siacutembolos.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 24 October 2014
Escuela Normal Francisco de Paula Santander is located in Málaga (Santander
The institute is named for the hero of the Colombian independence Francisco José de Paula Santander y Ornaña (1792-1840), Vice-President of the Republic of Colombia (1821-1827) and President of the Republic of the New Granada (1832-1837).
The flag of the institute is presented as horizontally divided blue-white-green with a row of nine yellow stars in the blue stripe and the institute's emblem in the middle.
The flag in actual use, however, is, simply, horizontally divided blue-white-green.
Ivan Sache, 24 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 27 September 2014
Institución Educativa Francisco de Paula Santander is located in Ventaquemada
(Boyacá Department). The institute is named for the hero of the Colombian
independence Francisco José de Paula Santander y Ornaña (1792-1840),
Vice-President of the Republic of Colombia (1821-1827) and President of the
Republic of the New Granada (1832-1837).
The flag of the institute was designed by Ricardo Duarte Ruíz, winner of the competition organized in 1988 for the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the institute. The flag is horizontally divided red-white-green, seemingly within a white frame.
Source: http://www.fpsventaquemada.edu.co/page.php?subpage=10 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 27 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 June 2001
Universidad Francisco de Paula Santander - 5:9 (apparently)
flag, horizontally divided white-black-orange-light green
(12:1:1:1). The name of the University, in black, is placed in
the white stripe, above the logo of the University.
Flag shown on <www.ufps.edu.co>, located by Dov Gutterman, which says (in Spanish): 'There is obviously an historical gap: we don't know according to which process the flag which currently flies in the Benefactors' Park was adopted as the official flag of the University.'
Ivan Sache, 9 June 2001
"Universidad Francisco de Paula Santander" was
founded on 5 July 1962 and recognized by the Government of the
Department of Norte de Santander on 13 May 1970 (Decree No. 323).
The university has its main seat in Cúcuta, with a secondary
seat in Ocaña and regional centers of open education in the
municipalities of Cundinamarca, Santander, Cesar, Sucre,
Bolívar, Magdalena, Arauca San Andrés and Providencia.
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 22 June 2014
Institución Educativa Francisco Hurtado was established in Venadillo (Tolima
Department) by Departmental Ordinance No. 12 of 28 November 1960, as Colegio
Departamental de Bachillerato Francisco Hurtado. The institute was named for the
educationalist Francisco Hurtado, who mostly worked in North Tolima, Venadillo
included. It was merged with Colegio Comercial Camila Molano by Decree No. 235
of 8 May 1969 to form Colegio Departamental Integrado Francisco Hurtado. Escuela
Urbana Mixta Helena Torres de Uribe was incorporated to the institute by
Resolution No. 762 of 26 July 2002. The rural schools of Vile, La Cubana and
Liborio Mejía were incorporated to the institute by Resolution No. 1,029 of 12
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided gray-white-red.
Source: http://www.iefranciscohurtado.com/pag/index.php/simbolos - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 22 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 01 December 2014
Institución Educativa Francisco José de Caldas was established in
Arauca (Arauca Department) by Resolution No. 169 of 2 April 1974.
The institute is named for Francisco José de Caldas (1768-1816), aka
the Wise Caldas. A naturalist and politician, Caldas supported the
independence and was executed by the Royalist troops.
The flag of the institute, designed in 1974 by Luis Villamizar, is horizontally divided blue-white. Blue is a symbol of greatness and immensity. White is a symbol of purity and peace.
Source: http://www.caldasarauca.edu.co/arauca/institucional/simbolos - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 01 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 11 August 2014
Institución Educativa Francisco José de Caldas was established on 1 August
1970 by Decree No. 284 in Islita borough, part of the municipality of Corozal
(Sucre Department). Then known as Escuela de Islita, the institute was ran by a
Franciscan nun, Sister María Gema García. The Franciscans would subsequently
manage the institute, until the teacher Alba Marina Bertel Alvarez was appointed
director of the institute by Decree No. 55 of 7 March 1994. Due to unhealthy
local conditions, the institute was relocated on 5 August 1994 to the San
Francisco borough. Colegio de Básica La Islita was renamed Colegio Francisco
José de Caldas in 2001 by Resolution No. 1,606. Institución Educativa Francisco
José de Caldas was eventually established by Decree no. 518 of 3 September 2003
as the merger of Colegio Francisco José de Caldas with Colegios Monseñor Carmelo
Percy, Tres de Marzo, Once de Noviembre, Jardín La Josefina, and Unidad Integral
de Educación Especial.
The institute is named for Francisco José de Caldas (1768-1816), aka the Wise Caldas. A naturalist and politician, Caldas supported the independence and was executed by the Royalist troops.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-red with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green is a symbol of love for life, respect for the natural environment, and aspiration to obtain a better educational environment. White is a symbol of peace and harmony. Red is a symbol of joy and enthusiasm.
The emblem of the institute is made of a red shield surrounded by a yellow border and surmounted by a green scroll. The upper half of the shield is charged with a portrait of Francisco José de Caldas, representing his ideals of wisdom, liberty, autonomy, dedication, creativity, and production of knowledge. The lower left and right parts are charged with an open book and a test tube, respectively, which represent study and scientific research, respectively. Beneath the shield in the middle of the yellow border are placed five interlaced rings, representing sports. The green scroll is inscribed with the motto "DISCIPLINA Y PERTENENCIA" (Discipline and Belonging).
The name of the institute is written in green capital letters above the shield, this writing being omitted on the flag.
Source: http://www.inscaldas.edu.co/seccion.asp?idseccion=2&idsubseccion=7 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 11 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 26 September 2014
Institución Educativa Francisco José de Caldas, located in Soledad (Atlántico
Department), was established in 1963 in Barranquilla, as Colegio Oficial del
Barrio Abajo. Classes started on 24 April 1964. The institute is named for
Francisco José de Caldas (1768-1816), aka the Wise Caldas. A naturalist and
politician, Caldas supported the independence and was executed by the Royalist
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-blue.
Source: http://caldas.edu.co/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 21 October 2014
Institución Educativa Departamental Francisco José de Caldas is located in
Villa del Rio borough, part of the municipality of Viotá (Cundinamarca
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-red.
Source: http://laclinicavegetal.blogspot.fr/2011/10/contextualizacion.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 21 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 20 October 2014
Institución Educativa Francisco Miranda was established in Medellín
(Antioquia Department) by Departmental Resolution No. 16,206 of 27 November
2002, as the merger of Colegio Francisco Miranda and Escuela Julio Arboleda
(est. by Municipal Decree No. 212 of 26 April 1952, as a splinter of Escuela
Carlos Vásquez La Torre). Upon request of its educational community, Escuela El
Bosque, established by Departmental Decree No. 352 of 11 March 1983, was
incorporated to Institución Educativa Francisco Miranda by Municipal Resolution
No. 33 of 21 April 2003.
Escuela Francisco Miranda was first established in 1886 on the today's site of the Botanical Garden, at the time settled by newcomers who founded several new boroughs. By Act No. 566 of 25 March 1930, the municipality of Medellín purchased from Rafael Toro Giraldo a plot to relocate the school. Novena Escuela de Varones Miranda, inaugurated on 13 September 1931, was eventually recognized by Departmental Ordinance No. 21 of 28 November 1959. Colegio Francisco Miranda was established by Departmental Resolution No. 1,313 of 1 October 1997.
The institute is named for the Venezuelan revolutionary Sebastián Francisco de Miranda y Rodríguez (1750-1816). President of the States of Venezuela for a short period (1812-1813), Miranda could not fulfil his project of independence of the Spanish possessions in South America, being, however recognized as the "Precursor" of the Bolivarian liberation.
The flag of the institute is divided blue-white-blue according to the descending diagonal, with the institute's emblem in the middle. The blue colour in "King" shade represents loyalty, confidence, knowledge, intelligence, faith, truth, and eternal heavens. In heraldry, azure is a symbol of sincerity and piety, being also a serene colour associated with intelligence and universal conscience.
White is associated with light, kindness, innocence, and purity, being considered as the colour of perfection. White means peace, security, serenity, faith, transparency, and purity.
Source: http://www.franciscomiranda.edu.co/index2.php?id=16029&idmenutipo=2386&tag= - Institute's website
The emblem of the institute is a shield of traditional heraldic shape, featuring the institutional colours, King blue and white. The bordure of the shield represents the source of knowledge. The bordure is inscribed in the lower part with the motto "CIENCIA CULTURA CALIDAD" (Science Culture Quality), which summarizes the concepts valued in the institute: Science, as knowledge obtained through analysis, verification, recapitulation, and development of processes oriented towards the understanding, the transformation, and the interpretation of the world; Culture, as the result and process of permanent building of identity, solidarity, and ways of being and living; and Quality, meaning here the concept of continuous improvement of the educational process towards integral education. The upper part of the bordure is inscribed with the name of the institute.
The shield is charged in the middle with a five-pointed star that historically represents light proper and is the emblem of "perfection and supreme knowledge", according to the Pythagoreans. The star further represents human unity, world peace, universal love, and the natural environment. Here, the star also represents the five institutional values expressed in the "teleological agenda" and forming the base of the pedagogic action: respect, supportive commitment, sense of belonging, honesty, and responsibility. The five points of the stars are supported by five hands representing in their colours the cultural integration and the diversity of the educational community, and expressing our reason for living: teaching and learning. The hands also represent respect for the different human orientations, being political, social, gender, cultural, and religious, among other.
Source: www.franciscomiranda.edu.co/index2.php?id=16027&idmenutipo=2386&tag= - Institute's website
Escuela Francisco de Miranda used an emblem of similar shape but featuring bees and a honeycomb and a different motto, "TRABAJO UNION Y CIENCIA" (Work, Union, and Science).
Source: http://www.franciscomiranda.edu.co/index2.php?id=16025&idmenutipo=2386&tag= - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 20 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 November 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Francisco Nuñez Pedroso was established in
Mariquita (Tolima Department) by Decree No. 628 of 16 March 1956. The school is
named for Captain Francisco Nuñez Pedroso, the Spanish conquistador who founded
on 28 August 1551 the town of Mariquita, on land belonging to cacique Marquetá.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-red-white, which represent hope, fighting spirit, and aspiration to unity and peace, respectively. Details on the official adoption of the flag have been lost.
Source: http://www.ietfrancisconp.edu.co/portal/?cat=31 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
Instituto Francisco Serrano Muņoz is located in Girón (Santander Department). The institute originates in Escuela Las Nieves, founded at the end of the 19th century by a wealthy local family and officially recognized in 1920 as Escuela Urbana de Niņas.
The flag of the institute is green with the institute's emblem in the middle
and the white writing "GIRON" beneath the emblem. Green is a symbol of hope and
The emblem of the institute features a triangle charged with a dove, representing peace, and snakes, representing wisdom. The two stars in the border of the emblem represent the light that guides the educationalists.
http://sededlasnieves.wordpress.com/11-2/ - Escuela Las Nieves' blog
image by Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
The flag of the Franciscan College Fray Rafael de la Serna is
horizontally divided yellow-green. From the flying flag shown on
located by Dov Gutterman, the default proportion of the
flag seems to be 1:2.
The college was founded in 1941 in Medellin, Antioquia and its first name was Instituto Cristobal Colon. By ministerial order #1610 from 6 June 1953, the college was renamed as a tribute to the Franciscan friar who founded the University of Antioquia. YYellow symbolizes the spiritual resources, spirit and the department of Antioquia. Green symbolizes the hope in the youth and the exuberant vegetation of Antioquia. It is said that the dimensions of the flag are precise, but not what they are indeed.
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2001
image by Ivan Sache, 13 October 2014
Institución Educativa Fundadores Ramón Bueno y José Triana was established in
Girardot (Cundinamarca Department) by Resolution No. 355 of 30 September 2002,
as the merger of Colegio Municipal, Concentración Urbana República Venezuela
(est. 1944), Concentración Urbana José Antonio Galán (est. 1967), Concentración
Urbana República Argentina, Jardín Infantil Departamental (est. 1972), and
Centro de Educación Especial (est. 1974). The name of the institute was
prescribed by Decree No. 16 of 17 January 2003, as a tribute to the founders
("fundadores") of the town of Girardot. Ramón Bueno and José Triana offered on
10 February 1844 a large plot of land to build buts; the settlement was named
Girardot on 9 October 1852 for Manuel Atanasio Girardot Díaz (1791-1813), a hero
of the struggle for independence who was killed when attempting to hoist the
revolution's flag on the Bárbula hill.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-dark blue. White is a symbol of purity, light, kindness, innocence, virginity, optimism, and perfection. Dark blue is a symbol of generosity, health, intelligence, and tranquillity.
Source: http://www.iefundadoresrbjt.edu.co/portal/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MANUAL-DE-CONVIVENCIA-IE-FUNDADORES-CONTENIDO.pdf - Institute's Etiquette Guidebook
Ivan Sache, 13 October 2014