Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
Institución Educativa Nacional Loperena is based in Valledupar (Cesar).
Colegio Nacional Loperena was established by Law no. 95 of 21 December 1940, after a Bill tabled by the local Senator Pedro Castro Monsalvo. Classes started in 1942, given by 6 professors to 60 students. Self-styled "Alma Mater of Cesar", the institute was proclaimed a National Monument in 1993.
The institute is named for María Concepción Loperena de Fernández de Castro (d. 1835), aka "La Loperana" and "La Heroina". La Loperana organized in 1812 the uprising of Valledupar against the Spanish administration; she proclaimed on 4 February (today's the official Town's Day) 1813 the independence of Valledupar and released the same day all the slaves from her estates. La Loperana was also the pioneer of education in Valledupar. With the support of General Francisco de Paula Santander, she established in the town a school of alphabetization based on the Lancaster method, officially recognized by a Decree on 17 May 1824.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green. White represents virtue and purity. Green represents hope, vitality, and the natural environment.
Source: Institute website
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
image by Ivan Sache, 7 July 2014
Colegio Femenino Lorencita Villegas de Santos is located in Bogotá. The
institute is named for Lorenza Villegas (1892-1960), First Lady of
Colombia from 1938 to 1942.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-white-green. Red is a symbol of love for the institute and passion for knowledge. White is a symbol of virtue and peace. Green is a symbol of hope.
http://colegio.redp.edu.co/lorencitavillega/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=56 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 7 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
Colegio Los Alerces, established in 1950 in Bogotá, is owned by the "Educadores
Siglo XXI company". Originally known as Gimnasio Villa Luz, the institute was
renamed Gimnasio Los Alerces in the beginning of the 21st century. "Los Alerces"
means "larches" (Spanish, "alerco", from Arab "al arx". botanical Latin, "Larix").
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-green. The colours represent charity and hope, respectively.
Source: College website
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2014
Colegio Los Andes was established on 8 August 1986 in Chinchiná by Juanita
Gutiérrez Paris and Ana Rosa Pineda Cardona. The founders transferred in 1999
the management of the institute to a group of pupil's parents.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green. The white stripe represents the immaculate Nevado del Ruíz, a symbol of purity and integrity. The green stripe represents the beauty of the natural environment and is a tribute to coffee, the main source of local, and, more generally, national income.
The volcano Nevado del Ruíz (5,321 m), covered by glaciers, was the responsible of the Armero tragedy. On 13 November 1985, the eruption of the volcano generated a mud flow that completely destroyed the town of Armero, causing c. 25,000 deaths.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 14 October 2014
Colegio Mayor de Los Andes is located in the village of El Canelón, part of
the town of Bogotá.
The flag of the institute is shown in the Institute's Etiquette Guidebook as horizontally divided blue-green. In the middle is placed a countercoloured disk (horizontally divided green-blue) inscribed with the institute's name and surrounding the institute's emblem. The emblem of the institute is a disk vertically divided green-white and charged with a phenix ensigned by an open book, the two countercoloured.
Source: http://www.colegiomayordelosandes.edu.co/home/formativo/manual-de-convivencia - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior Los Andes" is located in La Vega (Cauca
Department). The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on
the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-white-green. In the middle
of the flag is placed the institute's emblem.
Blue represents the water resources of the Colombian Range, the aspiration to infinite to reach deep knowledge. White symbolizes transparency, rightness, honesty and respect, values required to set up a peaceful pedagogy. Green symbolizes the natural resources of the fauna and flora, and hope.
On the emblem, the mountains represent the Colombian Range, the source of significant watercourses watering the national territory: rivers Patía, Cauqua, Caquetá and Magdalena forming the River Star, the center of the Colombian biodiversity. The circular shape of the emblem emphasizes that the institute is a center of convergence for all ethnical and sociocultural groups of the region.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2014
Liceo de los Andes was established on 13 September 1968 in Cali (Valle
Department) by Narciso Cabal Salcedo (1901-1982), who would serve as the
director until 1980. The institute is managed by the FUNED (Fundación para la
Educación), a non-profit foundation set up on 29 December 1973 by the
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-blue.
Source: http://www.liceodelosandes.org/es/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:quienes-somos&Itemid=56 - Institute's website
Note: Liceo de los Andes does not seem to be connected with Colegio Inglés de los Andes, also located in Cali, except by the name and flag.
Ivan Sache, 29 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
Gimnasio Los Arrayanes (GLA) was established in Bogotá by Resolution No. 250
of 5 November 2010, succeeding Nuevo Gimnasio San Luis Gonzaga. The institute
has been managed since 2008 by Sociedad Educativa Nueva Inglaterra.
The flag of GLA is horizontally divided blue-white-green (1:8:1) with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green and blue are the institutional colours of GLA. Green is a symbol of growth, hope, friendship, service and respect, while blue is a symbol of justice, heavens, truth, loyalty and charity.
Source: http://www.gla.edu.co/Bandera.html - Institute's website
The emblem of GLE features the "minimalist" representation of a tree, alluding to the myrtle ("arrayanes") for which the institute is named. The trunk of the tree symbolizes the human condition, in permanent growth, and virtue. The tree's canopy is supported by two big branches, which represent the two other principles of GLA, science and citizenship. In the middle of the emblem are placed the interlaced blue letters "GLA". A blue scroll is inscribed with the institute's name in white capital letters.
Source: http://www.gla.edu.co/Escudo.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 13 November 2010
Colegio Gimnasio Los Cedros, located in Medellín, was founded in 1972.
The flag of Colegio Gimnasio Los Cedros, as shown graphically on the institute website, is horizontally divided yellow-black. Yellow (gold) is a symbol of knowledge, firmness, faith, purity and greatness of aspirations and ideals. Black is a symbol of prudence, honesty and obedience, of pain as well.
Ivan Sache, 13 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
The College was founded in Valle del Lily in 1974. Its flag is
blue with a pink diamond in the middle, touching the upper and
lower borders of the flag and flanked by two smaller green
diamons touching the left and right borders of the flag,
respectively. A blck logo made of a combination of the G and F
letters is placed in the pink diamond
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co>, located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2004
image by Ivan Sache, 14 Febuary 2004
The 'Fundacion Universitaria Los Libertadores' was founded in
Bogota in 1982. Its flag is horizontally divided green-white-red
with the emblem of the Institute in the middle of the white
stripe. The emblem is made of the heads of the three
'Libertadores', who are: 'El Libertador', Simon Bolivar; 'El
Hombre de las Leyas', Francisco de Paula Santander; 'El Precurso
de la Independencia', Antonio Narino. The heads are surrounded by
a laurel wreath.
Source: http://www.ulibertadores.edu.co:8089/?idcategoria=35, located by Dov Gutterman, updated by Ivan Sache.
Ivan Sache, 14 Febuary 2004
A photo of the flag of the university is shown on this page.
Green represents esperance, honour and friendship.
White represents integrity, purity, and eloquence.
Red represents fire, highness, value and strength.
The heads of the three Libertadores are surrounded by 42 leaves of laurel.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
"Colegio 'Los Periodistas'" was founded in 1992 in
The flag of the institute, as described on the website of the institute, is "white and blue with the emblem of the institute in the middle".
The emblem of the institute is a shield divided per bend sinister white-blue, with overall a white parchment outlined in blue and charged with the blue letters (seemingly) "CL", the interlaced "C" and "L" also forming a "P", and a blue border charged with the name of the institute in white letters, "INSITITUCION" (left), "EDUCATIVA" (bottom), "DISTRITAL" (right), and "LOS PERIODISTAS" (top).
Ivan Sache, 17 January 2009
C.E.D. (or I.E.D.) Los Pinos is an official (public) school that currently
has three branches in
Bogotá. C.E.D stands for
Centro Educativo Distrital (District Educational Center), which was
later changed to I.E.D (Institución Educativa Distrital, District
Educational Institution) to denote all official (public) schools in
Its flag is seen here.
Esteban Rivera, 14 December 2015
image by Ivan Sache, 07 August 2014
Gimnasio Los Sauces was established in 1986 in Bogotá by María Hilda Segura
de Rosas and Jorge Enrique Rosas Silva and officially authorized on 10 February
The flag of the institute is vertically divided (1:2), white at hoist and horizontally divided red-green at hoist. White is a symbol of peace. Red is a symbol of joy and surpassing. Green is a symbol of natural environment, life, and aspiration to a better future.
Source: http://www.gimsau.edu.co/Simbolos.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 07 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2014
Colegio Loyola is located in Toscana borough, part of the municipality of
Medellín (Antioquia Department).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided gray-green-red by two three-segmented broken lines. The green stripe is charged with a white ring and two white horizontal lines.
http://www.iecolegioloyola.edu.co/index2.php?id=9445&idmenutipo=1592&tag= - Institute's website
image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2014