Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: renchen | cross(botonny) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of banner:
It is white banner. In the centre of the banner is a red cross botonny, surrounded by a red - white - red ornament.
Source: Stefan Schwoon: "Kommunalflaggen in Baden-Württemberg", published in "Flaggenkurier" no.3, Berlin 2010, image no.50
Since the 11th century the Bishopric of Straßburg had allodial rights and became the sovereign later on. The village gained city rights in the 14th century, lost them (in 1803?), but Grand Duke Leopold of Baden granted city rights again in 1836. The rights were lost again in 1935 but regained in 1950. The cross bottony can be found already on the oldest seals (existence proven from 1317 until 1371). Since 1687 it is displayed within a shield. The cross is alluding to the local parish church, being under patronage of the Holy Cross. The tinctures were used since the 19th century and fixed in 1906. The colours are those of the Bishopric of Straßburg.
Source: Landeskundliches Informationssystem Baden-Württemberg
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Sep 2013
back to Ortenau cities and municipalities click here