This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Escuela Politécnica Nacional (Ecuador)

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: ecuador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 26 July 2011


See also:


Overview

Escuela Politécnica Nacional (EPN) was founded on 27 August 1869 by President García Moreno. The German provincial Superior of the Society of Jesus commissioned three Jesuit scientists to start the institute: the German Juan Bautista Menten, first Dean and founder of the Quito Astronomical Observatory, the German Teodoro Wolf, founder of the Mineralogy Museum, and the Italian Luis Sodiro, founder of the Botanical Museum and Garden. EPN was closed on 15 September 1876 by President Borrero, mostly for political reasons.
EPN was reformed on 28 February 1935 by President Velasco Ibarra as Instituto Superior Politécnico. The today's name of the institute was established on 4 June 1946 by Velasco Ibarra.  EPN, located in the central eastern part of Quito, on the "José Rubén Orellana Ricaurte" campus, is divided into the Faculties of Science, Administration Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electric and Electronic Engineering, Geology and Oil, Mechanic Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Agroindustry, Systems Engineering, Technologists' Training School and Basic Training.
Source: http://www.epn.edu.ec/ - Official website
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2011


Flag

The flag of EPN is described on the official website as horizontally divided red-dark blue. Red represents triumph while blue represents science; accordingly, the flag represents the triumph of science. The same colors are used in the coat of arms of EPN, dark blue for the field and red for the chief. The symbols were adopted in 1958 following a public contest whose results have been lost; accordingly, the name of the designer of the symbols is unknown.
Source: http://www.epn.edu.ec/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=387&Itemid=54 
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2011