This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ecuador - High Education Institutes Flags - Part I

Last modified: 2015-01-23 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: ecuador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

See also:

Colegio Militar "Eloy Alfaro"

image by Dov Gutterman, 6 August 2002

Based on <>.
Dov Gutterman, 6 August 2002

On 7 July 1838, President of the Republic Vicente Rocafuerte (1783-1847, President in 1834-1839) founded in Quito a military college. Close and reopened in the next decades by different presidents, the college was eventually reestablished on 11 December 1899 by General Eloy Alfaro (1842-1912, President in 1897-1901 and 1906-1911), considered as the modernizer of the Ecuadorian army. In 1937, President Federico Páez (1876-1974, President in 1935-1937) added "Eloy Alfaro" to the name of the college.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo available on the website of the institute showing it flying together with a red triangular flag, is diagonally divided yellow-black by the ascending diagonal, with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
Yellow represents the constancy, brightness and resource of the spirit of the cadets.
Black represents sobriety, definition and modesty in their acts.
The emblem of the institute [3] is made of a light blue shield, representing the limpid, still and optimist sky, with a yellow map of Ecuador inscribed with the name of the country in black capital letters and charged with a hand holding the torch of science, truth and culture. A yellow scroll bears the motto of the institute in black letters, "SOLO VENCIENDOTE VENCERAS". The shield has a yellow border bearing the name of the institute in black letters. The shield is surmounted by a helmet argent with a red grid and three feathers in the national colours, yellow, blue and red.
Ivan Sache, 8 February 2009

Colegio Nacional Abelardo Moncayo

image by Ivan Sache, 10 July 2014

Colegio Nacional Abelardo Moncayo was established in Atuntaqui, capital of the Antonio Ante Canton (est. 12 February 1938) by Ministerial Decree No. 69 of 10 December 1940. The institute is named for the writer, educationalist and politician Abelardo Moncayo Jijón (1847-1917). Member of the Society of Jesus from 1863 to 1871, Moncayo was one of the re-founders of the National Library, which had been partially destroyed in 1859 by an earthquake. Moncayo was among the perpetrators of the assassination of President García Moreno on 6 August 1875; retired for several years in his estate, Moncayo joined in 1895 the Liberal troops. Eloy Alfaro appointed him Governor of the Imbabura Province, and, subsequently, Chancellor of the Republic. He presided the Constituent Assembly that named Eloy Alfaro President of the Republic. Moncayo presided in 1908, together with Eloy Alfaro, the inauguration of railway in Quito. (Detailed biography)

The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-white-green. White is a symbol of purity. - Institute's website
Ivan Sache
, 10 July 2014

Colegio Nacional Experimental "Benigno Malo"

image by Dov Gutterman, 6 August 2002

Based on <>.
Dov Gutterman, 6 August 2002

Colegio Nacional Técnico Dayuma

image by Ivan Sache, 12 November 2014

Colegio Nacional Técnico Dayuma is located in Dayuma Parish (Orellana Canton, Orellana Province).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-blue (1:2:1) with the institute's emblem in the middle.
Source: - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 12 November 2014

Colegio Particular Eugenio Espejo (CPEE)

image by Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010

Colegio Particular Eugenio Espejo (CPEE), located in Loja, was founded on 14 July 1995 by Decree No. 2525 of the Ministry of Education and Culture. The institute is named for the scientist, polemicist and lawyer Eugenio Espejo (1747-1795), considered as Quito's first journalist and hygienist and one of the inspirers of the Quito separatist movement (from the Spanish rule).
The flag of CPEE, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided white-green-white-green-white (1:1:2:1:1) with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem of CPEE is made of a yellow and green torch, with "LOJA" written vertically on the hilt, flanked on right by the letters "e e", overlapping, green and yellow, respectively, the whole placed on a
stand charged with the writing "EDUCAR PARA LA VIDA" (To educate for life").
Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010

Escuela Fiscocomisional "San José"

image by Ivan Sache, 07 November 2011

"Escuela Fiscocomisional 'San José'", ran by the Loja Bishopric, was founded in 1960 in Cariamanga, the capital of Calvas Canton, Loja Province.
The flag of "Escuela Fiscocomisional 'San José'", as shown graphically on the institute's website, is quartered white and blue with the institute's emblem in the middle. The emblem of "Escuela Fiscocomisional 'San José'" is made of an oval shield surmounted by a cross and surrounded by branches tied under the shield. A red scroll bears the name of the institute in white letters. The upper left quarter of the shield is red with three white stars recalling the flag of Loja?). The upper right quarter is yellow with a white open book and a quill (recalling Calvas?). The lower part of the shield shows the same landscape as on the arms of Calvas. The two-peaked mountain is Mount Ahuaca (2,740 m), the home of the viscacha _Lagidium ahuacaense_, found there in 2009 and counting only a few dozen of individuals (Ledesma et al., 2009, Zootaxon 2126, 41-57).
Source: Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 07 November 2011

Escuela Politécnica del Ejército

image by Eugene Ipavec, 4 May 2007

The Escuela Politécnica del Ejército (Polytechnic School of the Army) is located in Quito and was originally established for the education of Engineer Officers in the Ecuadorian Army. It then evolved into the Ecuadorian Military Academy but since 1977 it has transformed itself into a standard civilian university with a full range of civil as well as military career opportunities. The university logo can be seen at <>; it seems strange that an institution with such military antecedents does not possess a flag or standard. However, I found something on a Spanish web site, <>, which may well be the university flag even though the site refers to it as a shield. On the university's own home page the logo is simply placed on a white background, but on this Spanish site it is centered on an oyster colored rectangular background. It looks like a flag, the institution ought to have a flag, but they have not responded to my queries and therefore all that I can do is to refer to this image as a possible flag.
Ron Lahav, 4 May 2007

It does have a flag: <>, the little one on the podium (better visible in some of the other photos). Red/green diagonal with emblem in center.
Eugene Ipavec, 4 May 2007

Escuela Politécnica Nacional (EPN)

image by Ivan Sache, 26 July 2011

Escuela Politécnica Nacional (EPN) was founded on 27 August 1869 by President García Moreno. The German provincial Superior of the Society of Jesus commissioned three Jesuit scientists to start the institute: the German Juan Bautista Menten, first Dean and founder of the Quito Astronomical Observatory, the German Teodoro Wolf, founder of the Mineralogy Museum, and the Italian Luis Sodiro, founder of the Botanical Museum and Garden. EPN was closed on 15 September 1876 by President Borrero, mostly for political reasons.
EPN was reformed on 28 February 1935 by President Velasco Ibarra as Instituto Superior Politécnico. The today's name of the institute was established on 4 June 1946 by Velasco Ibarra.  EPN, located in the central eastern part of Quito, on the "José Rubén Orellana Ricaurte" campus, is divided into the Faculties of Science, Administration Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electric and Electronic Engineering, Geology and Oil, Mechanic Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Agroindustry, Systems Engineering, Technologists' Training School and Basic Training.
Source: - Official website

The flag of EPN is described on the official website as horizontally divided red-dark blue. Red represents triumph while blue represents science; accordingly, the flag represents the triumph of science. The same colors are used in the coat of arms of EPN, dark blue for the field and red for the chief. The symbols were adopted in 1958 following a public contest whose results have been lost; accordingly, the name of the designer of the symbols is unknown.
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2011

Escuela Superior Politecnica Agropecuaria de Manabi

image by Ivan Sache, 2 June 2004

The flag of the Polytechnic Agricultural Superior College is beige with a dark green border and the emblem of the College in the middle. The flagstaff shall be of coffee colour. Green stands for the agricultural wealth of the city of Calceta and the canton of Bolivar, as well as for hope. Beige stands for hospitality, work and solidarity expressed by the inhabitants of the region.
The emblem of the College shows an earthworm, which is born in earth, feed from earth, converts earth into humus and eventually feeds earth. The earthworm wears an orange sombrero and reads a book. It is inscribed in a double circle in which is written the name of the college. The acronym ESPAM is written on a green ribbon placed below the circles.
Note that the space between the two circles should probably be beige, too. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a better image of the reading earthworm emblem.
Source: Escuela Superior Politécnica Agropecuaria de Manabí
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2004

Escuela Superior Politecnica de Chimborazo

image by Eugene Ipavec, 11 April 2005

coat of arms
image by Eugene Ipavec, 11 April 2005

ESPOCH - Escuela Superior Politecnica de Chimborazo (Chimborazo Higher Technical College) is located in Riobamba. The college flag (tricolor of red-white-green) can be seen at <>.
Ron Lahav and Eugene Ipavec, 11 April 2005

Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral

image by Eugene Ipavec, 4 May 2007

The Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral (Higher Polytechnic College of the Littoral) is located in Guayaquil. The university flag can be seen at <>.
Ron Lahav, 4 May 2007

ESPOL was founded by Executive Decree No. 1664, published in the Ecuadorian official gazette on 11 November 1958. Classes officially started on 25 May 1959. In March 2002, the institute catered more than 12,000 students taught by more than 800 professors and 500 other employees.
Article 5 of the new statutes of ESPOL, adopted in 1998, says: "Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral shall use the patriotic symbols of Guayaquil and its own symbols as well. Its motto is "Ciencia, Tecnología y Educación al servicio del país" [Science, Technology and Education to the service of the country] and its acronym is ESPOL."
Flag - The Polytechnical Council approved on 14 December 1993 the report presented by Robert Toledo Echeverría, Vice Rector in charge of Students' Affairs and Welfare, and prescribed the flag of ESPOL to be: A rectangular field with three light blue ("celestes") and two white stripes.
The upper and lower light blue stripes shall be twice higher than the light blue central stripe.
The white stripes shall be slightly ("ligeramente") higher than the light blue stripe they flank. In the middle of the flag shall be placed an allegory made of a circle charged with a "galápago", below it the words "Guayaquil - Ecuador". [The "galápago" is the Galápagos (giant) tortoise, Geochelone nigra Quoy & Gaimard, a species endemic to the Galápagos islands, with ten subspecies still alive (out of the 12 recorded). More details at wikipedia].
Above the circle shall be placed the acronym ESPOL, below the circle shall be placed "Octuber de 1958" [October 1958], the foundation date of the institute.
Below the circle shall be written the name of the institute "Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral".
The circle shall be surrounded by olive branches, symbols of knowledge, peace and excellence.
Below the lower writing shall be placed a white star symbolizing the Guayaquil Star [this seems to have been changed for a light blue star placed in the upper part of the circle].
The flag of the institute shall be used in all the official acts of ESPOL.
Emblem - The emblem / seal of ESPOL was created in 1958 by the founder and first Director of the institute, Walter Camacho Navarro. The seal was oval, charged with a laurel crown surrounding the Guayaquil Star. Outside the oval were written "Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral" and "1958". Used for the first 15 years of existence of the institute, until Rector Luis Parodi Valverde decided that the emblem of the institute should be more closely related to Ecuador. In 1974, without any official decision, a donkey's head was added to the emblem, which was nothing but original, since this is the symbol used by the National Polytechnic Institute of México.
Accordingly, the Board of ESPOL launched a competition for designing the emblem of the institute. On 25 November 1974, the Board approved the proposal made by Carlos Quevedo Flores, which includes a "galápago", the world famous symbol of the Galápagos islands, and, therefore, of Ecuador.
Source: <>.
Ivan Sache, 12 April 2009