Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: ecuador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 20 September 2018
"Unidad Educadiva San Felipe Neri" (UESFN) was
founded at Riobamba by the Society of Jesus. On 13 October 1836,
President of the Republic Vicente Rocafuerte appointed Dr. J.
Véloz "Rector del Colegio Nacional de San Felipe
Neri"; however, the effective foundation date of the
institute is considered to be 25 April 1838. "Colegio San
Felipe Neri" was transformed into "Unidad Educadiva San
Felipe Neri" by the Ministry of Education on 21 September
2000 (Decree No. 931). The institute is named after St. Philip
Neri (1515-1595, canonized in 1622), an Italian priest and
mystic, founder of the Congregation of the Oratory in 1575.
Ivan Sache, 8 February 2009
taken during the "Proclamación de Abanderados y Escoltas
2008-2009" ceremony shows the flag of the institute as
horizontally divided blue-white-blue (1:2:1) with the emblem of
the institute in the middle, slightly overlapping on the blue
stripes. The flag is bordered with a fringe argent.
The emblem of the institute was adopted on 21 September 2000, when the institute was granted its current status and name. The emblem is made of a shield vertically divided, the left half being yellow with seven red bends and the right half being silver with a cauldron flanked by two wolves, all in black. The shield is surmounted by the foundation year, "1836", in blue, and placed on a white disk surrounded by a grey ring charged with "UNIDAD EDUCATIVA SAN FELIPE NERI" (top) and "RIOBAMBA - ECUADOR" (bottom), in blue letters. The shield is presented on the website of the institute as inspired by the arms of Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus. On the flag, there is a clear difference between the white and silver elements, but the colour of the writing does not seem to be blue, but rather or.
A similar coat of arms is used by the Society of Ex-Alumni of the Colleges of the Society of Jesus, presented on the website of "Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola" of Piura, Peru. Ignatius de Loyola was born Iñigo de Oñaz y Loyola, and his arms were "Per pale, Oñaz and Loyola". The dexter part of the shield, "Gules seven bends gules", was the coat of arms of the Oñaz family. The seven bends were conferred by King Alfonso XI of Castile to the seven Oñaz brothers who fought during the battle of Beotivar in 1321, repelling, together with a few Basque fellows, Gascon and Navarrian troops.
The sinister part of the shield, "Argent a cauldron flanked by two wolves rampant, all sable", was the coat of arms of the Loyola family. The wolves, symbols of ardor to war, are canting for the name used by the saint in his youth, Iñigo López de Loyola ("lobo" means "a wolf" in Spanish). The cauldron may recall the affluence of the Loyola family.
Ivan Sache, 8 February 2009