Last modified: 2015-09-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: pulpí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pulpí - Image from the Símbolos de Almería website, 9 May 2014
The municipality of Pulpí (8,871 inhabitants in 2013; 9,600 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Region of Murcia, 110 km north-east of Almería.
Pulpí was once known as Pulpic, a name derived from Latin populetum, "a place planted with poplars", and transformed to Pulpí under Mozarab influence.
Sicne the Roman times, Pulpí has belonged to Vera or Baria. In the 16th-18th centuries, the town of Vera was involved in several court cases aimed at changing the limits of its jurisdiction, which were eventually fixed in 1741 by the Royal and Supreme Council of Castile.
The flag of Pulpí, adopted on 7 November 2000 by the Municipal Council and validated on 25 October 2001 by the Royal Academy of Cordóba, is prescribed by Decree No. 18, adopted on 22 January 2002 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 19 February 2002 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 21, p. 2,563 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, one time and a half longer (from hoist to fly) than high, made of three horizontal stripes, with three colours placed horizontally, the upper stripe, crimson red, in height 2/5 of the flag's hoist, the central stripe white, in height 1/5 of the flag's hoist, and the lower stripe, green, in height equal to the crismon red stripe. In the center of the flag is placed the coat of arms of Pulpí, surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
Red comes from the flag of Vera. White represents the communication between different peoples and cultures. Green is a symbol of friendship, commitment, constancy and abundance.
The coat of arms of Pulpí is prescribed by Decree No. 2,479, adopted on 7 September 1963 and published on 7 October 1963 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 240, p. 14,320 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Arms of Vera, 2. Vert 12 crescents reverted argent 4, 4 and 4. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown. [The shield supported by an Imperial double-headed eagle]
The upper part of the shield is made of the arms of Vera, from which Pulpí was separated by Royal Order of 22 April 1862.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Almería (PDF file)]
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 4 November 2012