Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: carrias |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Carrias - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 February 2015
The municipality of Carrias (23 inhabitants in 2014; 1,326 ha; municipal website) is located 15 km of Briviesca and 50 km of Burgos. .
Carrias was first mentioned in a document dated 1007, kept in the San
Mill@aacute;n de la Cogolla abbey. Carrias was part of the alfoz (group of villages) of Oca, placed under the jurisdiction of Villafranca Montes de Oca, which was the seat of a diocese in the upper Middle Ages.
A strategic place during the Christian Reconquest, Carrias was inside the defence line connecting the towns of Pancorbo, Cellorigo, Cerezo, Lantarón, Ibrillos and Belorado. The village was re-settled by colonists from the Merindades (northern Province of Burgos), Asturias, Cantabria and Basque Country. At the end of the 19th century, Carrias counted 148 inhabitants and maintained a school for 35 children. The population peaked at 263 in 1900. Since then, the drop in the birth rate, and, mostly, emigration to industrialized towns, have caused the decline of the population of the village.
Ivan Sache, 14 February 2015
The flag (photo) and arms of Carrias, approved on 21 June 2002 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 August 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 3 August 2002 by the Mayor, and
published on 21 August 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 161, p. 11,095 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, one by one. Horizontally divided into three stripes, red, yellow and green, the central stripe in height 4/10 of the flag's side and the other 3/10. In the heart of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules two towers or masoned sable port and windows azure in chief two scallops argent, 2. Vert three bread loafs or 2 and 1 in base a sheep passant. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The symbols were inaugurated on 10 March 2003 (unofficial blog).
The towers represent the village's merit and its belonging to the Burgos Province. The scallops recall that the village, located close to the Way of St. James, made several donations to the Villafranca Montes de Oca hospital. The bread loafs represent agriculture while the sheep represents cattle-breeding.
Ivan Sache, 14 February 2015mailme.html