Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: montejícar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Montejícar - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 May 2014
The municipality of Montejícar (2,525 inhabitants in 2008; 8,920 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km north of Granada and 45 km south of Jaén.
The name of Montejícar comes from Arabic Shicar, itself derived from Hins Monte Xaquer, after Latin Mons Sacer, "The Sacred Mount". Once a significant Roman settlement recalled by the Roman fortified bridge of Triana, Montejícar was under the Moorish rule a strategic place defending of the Kingdom of Granada; the only remains of the castle built in the 9th century are a quadrangular tower, a few walls and a gate.
Reconquered in 1486 by the Catholic Monarchs, Montejícar was listed 12 years later among the seven towns commissioned to supply food to Granada (Montejícar, Montefrío, Íllora, Moclín, Colomera, Guadahortuna and Iznalloz). In the 16-18th centuries, Montejícar was indeed the third bigger grain producer in Spain. Deserted after the expelling of the Moriscos, Montejícar was resettled under King Charles I. In 1514, Luis de Valdivia y Diego de Lizana became the first lord of Montejícar, whose title of villa was confirmed in 1538 by Emperor Charles V.
Ivan Sache, 6 July 2009
The flag and arms of Montejícar, adopted on 23 January 2007 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 6 February 2007 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 February 2007 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 6 March 2007 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 46, p. 29 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of a red panel with a yellow tower masoned black, with an isosceles triangle placed along the hoist, white with three blue wavy stripes.
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. Vert a castle argent masoned sable, 2. Argent a Montejícar halberd gules, 3. Argent an olive tree eradicated vert, 4. Azure a chapel argent masoned sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The castle was built to block Christian troops heading to Granada. The Montejícar halberd, found in 1949 by Manuel Gómez Moreno and Hermanfrid Schubart in the Iberian archeologic site of Cerro del Castillo (Age of Bronze), is kept in the Granada Archeological Museum. Olive is the main source of income for the municipality. The parish church is the main monument of the town.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 6 July 2009