This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Montillana (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: montillana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Montillana - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 19 May 2014

See also:

Presentation of Montillana

The municipality of Montillana (locally known as La Montillana; 1,324 inhabitants in 2014; 7,517 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north of Granada on the border with the Province of Jaén, The municipality is made of the villages of Montillana and Trujillos (183 inh.), which formed two separate municipalities until merged by Decree No. 3,299, adopted on 28 December 1967 by the Spanish Government and published on 16 January 1968 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 14, p. 633 (text).

Montillana originates, according to the local tradition, in an estate named Puerto de don Gonzalo. The archives of the Royal Chancellory of Granada record that Fernando Álvarez de Sotomayor, born in Noalejo (Province of Jaén) was made lord of La Montillana at the end of the 16th century. Further documents state that La Montillana belonged to Colomera, until established a separate municipality in 1836. The status of La Montillana in the 18th century was quite odd: Tomás López' dictionary says that the lord, Fernando de Aranda, owned the land but had no rights on the villagers and their dwellings.
Trujillos, once known as Truxillos, was probably named for the Marquisate of Los Trujillos, erected in 1629 by Philip IV for Antonio Álvarez de Bohórquez y Girón.

Ivan Sache, 19 May 2014

Symbols of Montillana

The flag and arms of Montillana, adopted on 29 January 2010 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 11 February 2010 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 February 2010 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 5 March 2010 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 44, p. 14 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 3:2 (length on width). An horizontal serration dividing the flag in two horizontal parts of the same area and of complementary shape through two serrations. The upper part white and the lower part green, with two yellow uprooted olive trees, as arranged on the coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Per fess serrated of two argent and vert two olive trees eradicated or in fess. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.

The flag is a banner of the municipal arms.

Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 May 2014