Last modified: 2017-01-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: árchez |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Árchez - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 15 September 2016
The municipality of Árchez (436 inhabitants in 2015, 480 ha, therefore the smallest municipality in the province by its area; municipal website) is located 50 km east of Málaga.
Árchez is of Arab origin, as Al-Cocer, "the palace". Reconquerred in 1487 by the Catholic Monarchs, Árchez was granted, together with Canillas de Aceituno, Corumbela, Algarrobo and Salares, to Diego Fernández de Córdoba, who was subsequently made Marquis de Comares. Royal Letters signed by Queen Joan on 20 December 1512 transferred the seat of the Marquisate from Comares to Sedella.
Ivan Sache, 15 September 2016
The flag (photos) and modified coat of arms of Árchez, adopted on 26 June 2012 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 20 July 2012 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 3 September 2012 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 14 September 2012 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 181, p. 18 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular in proportions 3:2 (length to width), horizontally divided in four equal stripes, from top to bottom, red, white, blue, and yellow. Charged in the center of the panel with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Per pale, 1. Or a minaret proper in base fesses wavy azure and argent, 2a. Or three fesses gules, 2b. Argent a Moorish king issuant from the base proper clad azure and gules crowned or holding a sceptre of the same. A bordure argent inscribed with "OMNIA PER IPSO FACTA SUNT" in letters sable. Grafted in base Argent a branch of olive fructed vert and a bunch of grapes slipped and leaved vert fructed or in saltire. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The coat of arms was originally prescribed by an Order adopted on 5 January 1986 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 25 February 1986 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 16, p. 503 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The only difference with the today's arms is in the description of the Moorish king, "a Moorish king with his sceptre and a chain around the neck issuant from the sinister flank".
The minaret recalls the Arab origin of the place, while the waves represent river Turvilla. The second quarter features the arms of the Marquis of Comares. The chains of the Moorish king were suppressed for the sake of historical faithfulness.
The olives and grapes represent the agricultural resources, especially grapes used to produce charab almalaquí, a Málaga wine.
More specifically, the Mudéjar minaret of the former mosque is the landmark of Árchez. Erected in the 14th century by the Nasrid, the minaret was transformed into a bell-tower for the parish church. Square and high of more than 15 m, the minaret was registered on 20 April 1979 as a National Monument of Historical and Artistic Interest.
Ivan Sache, 15 September 2016