Last modified: 2015-11-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: peñafiel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Peñafiel - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 February 2014
The municipality of Peñafiel (5,628 inhabitants in 2012; 7,599 ha; municipal website) is located in the east of Valladolid Province, 60 km from Valladolid.
Peñafiel was located in the tierra de nadie, a deserted area that
served of buffer zone between the Christian and Moorish states. Ruíz
Laínez started in 947 the re-settlement of the region. The castle,
then known as Penna Fidele, was used to protect the northern
territories from Al-Mansur's raids. Al-Mansur invaded the region in
995 but was expelled in 1008 by Sancho García, who granted a charter
in 1013 to Peñafiel (therefore the town celebrated its millennium in
2013), subsequently one of the most important fortresses watching the
border. Minaya Alvar Fáñez, the most famous brother-in-arms of El Cid Campeador, was appointed lord of Peñafiel as a reward for his support
in the struggle against the "pagans".
The castle of Peñafiel was inhabited for more or less long periods by royalties, such as Queen Urraca and Kings Ferdinand III and Alfonso X the Wise. Charles, Prince of Viana (1421-1461), Infant of Aragón and Navarre, was born in the castle. However, the most famous inhabitant of the castle was Infante Juan Manuel, made Duke of Peñafiel in 1292, author of El Conde de Lucanor (Tales of Count Lucanor, 1335), one of the earliest works of prose in Castilian language.
In 1448, Prince Henry granted Peñafiel to Pedro Girón (1423-1466), 28th Master of the Order of Calatrava. Girón, his elder brother Juan
Pacheco (1419-1474) and his uncle Alfonso Carrillo de Acuña
(1410-1482), Archbishop of Toledo in 1446, were the most influent nobles in the court of Castile and León during the reign of Henry IV (1425-1474, crowned in 1454). Girón was a main member of the noble's leagues that challenged Henry IV after he had appointed Beltrán de la Cueva in the King's Council (1461). Pedro Girón's eldest natural son, Alfonso Téllez-Girón, was made the 1st Count of Ureña on 25 May 1464 by Henry IV.
Pedro Téllez-Girón (1537-1590), the 5th Count of Ureña, was made the 1st Duke of Osuna on 5 February 1562 by King Philip II. The Girón family ruled Peñafiel until the suppression of the feudal system in the 19th century.
The castle of Peñafiel, considered as one of the best preserved medieval fortresses in Spain, was registered an historical monument in 1917. It houses the Valladolid Provincial Wine Museum, inaugurated in 1999 and presenting the four protected designations of the province: Cigales, Ribera del Duero (incl. Peñafiel), Rueda and Toro.
Ivan Sache, 19 February 2014
The flag (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo) of Peñafiel is crimson red with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms of Peñafiel is "Azure a tower or masoned sable ports
and windows gules ensigned sinister by a bird argent on a terrace
vert. A bordure argent inscribed with the town's motto 'Esta será la
peña más fiel de Castilla'".
The canting motto of the town, which reads "This will be the rock [peña] the most faithful [fiel] in Castile", is credited to founder Sancho García.
The flag in use shows a version of the coat of arms slightly different from the official version (image).
Ivan Sache, 19 February 2014