This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Castronuevo de los Arcos (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: castronuevo de los arcos | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Castronuevo de los Arcos - Image by "Nethunter" (Wikimedia Commons), 3 January 2011

See also:

Presentation of Castronuevo de los Arcos

The municipality of Castronuevo de los Arcos (312 inhabitants in 2009; 4,789 ha) is located in the east of Zamora Province, 30 km from Zamora.

Castronuevo emerged in the 9th century as Villa Castronovo, depending on the Belver de los Montes monastery, located in Villacete. On 30 January 1624, Cristóbal Porres y Enríquez de Sotomayor was made Count of Castronuevo by King Philip IV. His ancestor Pedro Gómez de Porres is the first known lord of Castronuevo (1391). Cristóbal Travesedo y Juliá is the 20th Count of Castronuevo (2003).

Ivan Sache, 3 January 2011

Symbols of Castronuevo de los Arcos

The flag and arms of Castronuevo de los Arcos are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 June 2003 by the Municipal Council, signed on 21 July 2003 by the Mayor, and published on 7 August 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 152, p. 10,966 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, made of a blue diagonal stripe outlined in yellow, running from the upper hoist to the lower fly, the triangle at hoist green and the triangle at fly red.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a three-arched bridge argent masoned sable over waves azure, 2. Or a garb vert, 3. Argent an oak eradicated vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

The bridge must recall the name of the village (arcos, "arches"); it is believed that "de los Arcos" was added to the village's name after a lord had built a bridge over river Valderaduey.

Ivan Sache, 26 December 2010