This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek (Croatia)

Sveučilište Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku - Universitas studiorum Josephi Georgi

Last modified: 2016-08-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: university of osijek |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of the University of Osijek - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 August 2014


See also:


Presentation of the University of Osijek

The University of Osijek was established in 1975, taking its current name in 1990. It is composed of 11 Faculties, an Academy and a number of other organizations.

Željko Heimer, 27 August 2014


Flag of the University of Osijek

The symbols of the University of Osijek are prescribed in Article 6 of the University Statutes, Statut Sveučilišta Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku (pročišćeni tekst), last amended in 2010 (text).
The flag is in proportions 1:2, horizontally divided white-blue (like the town flag of Osijek), with the blue "arms" of the University in the centre.
The "arms" of the University are circular, bearing the coat of arms of the town of Osijek surrounded by the name of the University in Croatian.

Željko Heimer, 27 August 2014


Faculty of Economics

[Arms]         [Arms]

Emblems (left, current, right, former) of the Faculty of Economics - Images by Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014

The Centre for Economics Studies was established in Osijek in 1959, becoming the School of Economics and in 1961. the Faculty of Economics, that was until 1975 a part of the University of Zagreb, and has been since then a part of the Osijek University.

The Faculty Statutes, Statut Sveučilišta Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku Ekonomskog Fakulteta u Osijeku, last amended in 2014 (text), do not prescribe any symbol.
The Faculty uses a number of emblems based on a common pattern consisting of four blue outlined lozenges, top red, bottom blue and a withe one on each side. If large enough, they may be inscribed with initials "ETFOS". An emblem depicting initials "ETFOS", the first three letters blue and two last blue outlined white with the four lozenges in top right, is also used.
The flag in use is a vertical white flag with the basic lozenge emblem with initials in the centre and the blue Faculty name on three rows in the bottom.

Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014


Faculty of Electrical Engineering

[Flags]         [Arms]         [Arms]

Flag and emblems of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering - Images by Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014

The study of electromechanical engineering started in Osijek in 1978 as an interfaculty programme. The current Faculty was established in 1990.

The Faculty Statutes, Statut Elektrotehničkog Fakulteta u Osijeku Ekonomskog Fakulteta Osijek, last amended in 2014 (text), do not prescribe any symbol.
The Faculty uses an emblem with blue stylized column capital, and an "arrow of growth", and green initials "efos". The previously used emblem consisted of a circular seal depicting the Faculty building with inscribed names of the University and Faculty above and below, and with year "1961".

Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014


Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences

[Arms]         [Arms]

Emblems (left, current, right, former) of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences - Images by Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014

The study of Philosophy in Osijek was established by Franciscans in 1707 (until 1780), but the modern academic history began with the establishment of the Academy of Pedagogy in 1961, which became the Faculty of Pedagogy in 1977 and, in 2003, the current Faculty.

The Faculty Statutes do not prescribe any symbol.
The faculty uses an emblem consisting of two letters "F", one orange and the other inverted red and with a rectangular orange dot between them. The University name is inscribed black to the left top and the Faculty name to the left bottom. The Faculty previously used an emblem in a circular seal shape depicting the Faculty building within two rings and the University and the Faculty names inscribed within them, the inscriptions orange and the drawings red.

Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014


Faculty of Civil Engineering

[Flags]         [Arms]

Flag and emblem of the Faculty of Civil Engineering - Image by Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014

A department of the Zagreb Technical College was established in Osijek in 1967, which in 1976 became the Hight Technical Civil Engineering School, as a member of the University of Osijek. The Faculty of Civil Engineering was established in 1983, as a joint units of the Osijek University and the Zagreb Civil Engineering Institute until 1991, when it becomes an independent member of the University of Osijek.

The Faculty Statutes, last amended in 2014 (text) do not prescribe any symbol.
The Faculty uses an emblem consisting of green bordered white stylized initials "GF".
The flag in use (photo) is light green, vertical with the emblem in the top part and underneath a blue fimbriated white transversal stripe with the blue emblem of the University between the blue inscribed University name above it and the county name below and between the stripe and the emblem inscribed white the Faculty name.

Željko Heimer, 27 October 2014


Catholic Faculty of Theology in Đakovo

[Arms]

Emblem of the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Đakovo - Image by Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014

In 1806 the Diocese established the Episcopal Lyceum (Lyceum episcopale) becoming a gymnasium in 1850. In 1931 the school became the High Theological College (Visoka bogoslovna škola). It was affiliated to the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Zagreb in 1987. With the return of the Faculty in the Zagreb University system, the College becomes the Theology in Đakovo (Teologija u Đakovu) in 1994. In 2004 the Theology was raised to the Faculty level, as a member of the University of Osijek.

The "coat of arms" is prescribed in the Faculty Statutes, last amended in 2010 (text), as depicting a book, a cross and a symbol of the Holy Ghost. The colours are not mentioned in the Statutes, but it seems that properly (although monocoloured scheme is also used) book is purple with a gray square depicting white vertical stripe with a gray cross and a white highly stylized dove. In the bottom right corner of the gray panel is the year 1806 inscribed black.

Željko Heimer, 16 October 2014


Faculty of Medicine

[Arms]         [Arms]

Flag and coat of arms of the Faculty of Medicine (reconstruction) - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014

The Study of Medicine was established in Osijek in 1979 as a dislocated study of the School of Medicine of the University of Zagreb. The faculty was eventually established in 1998.

The emblem of the Faculty is prescribed in Article 6 of the Faculty Statutes, as fllows:

The coat of arms of the Faculty is rectangular in shape. In its centre are the monogramatic initials "MF", representing transformed and stylized emblem of medicine, above which is inscribed "Sveučilište Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku", and below inscribed "Medicinski fakultet Osijek".
The Faculty has a white flag. The proportions of the length to the width of the flag are 2:1. In the centre of the horizontally set flag, with its width along the staff, is set the coat of arms of the Faculty, above which it is inscribed "Sveučilište Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku", and below is inscribed "Medicinski fakultet Osijek".

The "coat of arms" is thus composed of blue stylized initials "MF" with a red element, forming partially the stylized medical symbol of the Aesculapian rod with a snake, topped with the University name and the Faculty name below. However, various position of the inscriptions are found in use. The flag is thus white with the "coat of arms" including the inscriptions, in its centre.

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014


Faculty of Agriculture

[Arms]

Emblem of the Faculty of Agriculture - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014

The Faculty of Agriculture was established in Osijek in 1960 as the High School for Agriculture (Visoka poljoprivredna škola). In 1970 it became the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Technology (Poljoprivredno-prehrambeno-tehnološki fakultet). It was divided, when the University of Osijek was established in 1975, into two separate institutions, one being the current Faculty. In 1977 it incorporated also the Vinkovci High School for Agriculture (Visoka poljoprivredna škola u Vinkovcima).

The symbols of the Faculty is prescribed in Article 5 of the Faculty Statutes, as "In the centre of the seal is the emblem symbolic mark of the Faculty. With the emblem of the Faculty it is symbolized an Erlenmayer flask." The emblem, in use prior to 1985, depicts a green stylized Erlenmeyer flask (type of laboratory glass equipment) from which a corn ear is issuing. At least since 2000, the emblem has often been used with the year of the Faculty establishment inscribed along the base.

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014


Faculty of Law

[Arms]         [Arms]

Emblems of the Faculty of Law - Images by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014

The Study of Law was first established in Osijek within the Faculty of Economy in 1973; a separate Faculty was soon established, in 1975.

The Faculty Statutes, Statut Pravnog Fakultet Fakulteta u Osijeku (text), do not prescribe any symbol.
The Faculty uses blue initials "PFO" as its emblem. Previously, a circular seal shaped emblem was used, with the University and Faculty names within two concentric circles and a rectangular emblem with smoothed corners containing stylized initials "PF" in the centre.

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014


Faculty of Food Technology

[Arms]

Emblems of the Faculty of Food Technology - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014

In 1970 the High School for Agriculture (Visoka poljoprivredna škola) in Osijek established the Food Technology Department and becomes the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Technology (Poljoprivredno-prehrambeno tehnološki fakultet). It was divided, when the University of Osijek was established in 1975, into two separate institutions, one being the current Faculty.

Article 5 of the Faculty Statutes, Statut Prehrambeno tehnološkog fakulteta Osijek (text), prescribes the emblem as "composed of stylized initials 'PFTOS'." The first three letters are used inscribed blue and the last two gray shifted to the bottom left, under the former, all over thin crossing gray lines.

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014


Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Slavonski Brod

[Arms]         [Arms]

Flag and emblem of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Slavonski Brod - Images by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014

The study of mechanical engineering started in Slavonski Brod as the High School affiliated to the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture of the University of Zagreb in 1962. It eventually became the Faculty and constituent unit of the Osijek University in 1979.

Article 5 of the Faculty Statutes, Statut Strojarskog fakulteta u Slavonskom Brodu Sveučilišta Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku (text), prescribes the emblem as "composed of stylized letters 'SF'." These stylized letters are set of red obliquely set rectangles.
The flag (photo) is vertical, divided white-blue with a hoist-sized diameter circular arc, the imaginary circle containing the Faculty emblem encirciled with the blue inscription of the Faculty name and beaneth it in the blue field the white three-lined inscription of the University name.

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014


Faculty of Educational Sciences

[Arms]         [Arms]         [Arms]         [Arms]         [Arms]

Emblems of the Faculty of Educational Sciences - Images by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014

Education of theachers in Osijek started in 1893 with the establishment of the Royal Male Teachers School (Kraljevska muška učiteljska škola). The Teacher Education School became in 1961 the Pedagogy Academy (Pedagoška akademija), and in turn in 1977 the Pedagogy Faculty (Pedagoški fakultet) and in 1998 the Teacher High Education School (Visoka učiteljska škola). Since 1999 it has subsidiary studies in Slavonski Brod and since 2003 in Vukovar. It became the Faculty of Teacher Education (Učiteljski fakultet) in 2005 and eventually renamed to the current name in 2014.

The Faculty Statutes, Statut Fakulteta za odgojne i obrazovne znanosti (text), adopted on 11 June 2014, does not prescribe any emblem.
The new logo of the Faculty consists of a square divided into nine imaginary fields, the top and left joined into a single gray element, the bottom right four fields being white, yellow, purple and light gray.
The previous faculty name was Faculty of Teacher Education (Učiteljski fakultet) from 2005 until 2014, and in this period a number of emblems was apparently in use. The last among them, as it appears to be, obviouly served as an inspiration for the current emblem, at least the colour scheme was based on it. This emblem is a circular seal shaped emblem with initials "uf" dividing the circle into gray top, yellow bottom and purple right part, encircled with the gray Faculty name and a concentric circle. Two other version used are based on the "default" seal depicting the faculty building, yet a variation with the seal being rectangular was also used. Finally, stylized initials "UFOS" might have been the oldest among them.

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2014


Academy of Arts

[Arms]

Emblem of the Academy of Arts - Image by Željko Heimer, 21 October 2014

The Academy of Arts in Osijek was established in 2004.

The Academy Statutes Statut Umjetničke akademije Sveučilišta Josipa Jurja Strossmayera u Osijeku (pročišćeni tekst), last amended in 2014 (text) do not prescribe any symbol.
The Academy uses an emblem consisting of a red disk with a white Roman capital letter "A" offset of the left.

Željko Heimer, 21 October 2014