This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Novigrad (Municipality, Zadar County, Croatia)

Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: novigrad | cross (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Novigrad

Novigrad, often named Novigrad Zadarski or Novigrad Dalmatinski to differentiate from Novigrad Istarski and Novigrad Podravski, is located 30 km east of Zadar, in a deep bay called Novigrad Sea (Novigradsko more). The town tracks its history back to Roman times.
The modern municipality of Novigrad was established in 1811 by Decree of Bertrand, Governor-General of the Illyrian Provinces in Ljubljana. It started on 1 January 1812, comprising also the nearby villages of Starigrad, Seline, Jasenice, Kruševo, Karin Gornji, Karin Donji, Popovici, Biljane Gornje, Biljane Donje, Smiljčić, Kašić, Islam Latinski, Islam Grčki, Paljuv, Podgradina, Posedarje (since 1813), Slivnica, Vinjerac and Pridraga.

Željko Heimer & Plamenko Anzulović, 8 January 2006

Flag of Novigrad

The symbols of Novigrad are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Općine Novigrad, adopted on 6 June 2011 by the Municipality Assembly and published on 15 July 2011 in the County official gazette Službeni glasnik Zadarske županije, No. 10 (text).

The Decision refers to the Research report by the Croatian State Archives, dated 19 May 2011.
The closing article of the Decision determines that the Decision shall be published in the official gazette only after the approval by the Ministry of Administration (the approval is to form an integral part of the Decision, but it is not published in the gazette, neither are the drawings). However, it would presumably mean that the approval was granted by mid-July 2011.

The flag is in proportions 1:2, light blue with the coat of arms, bordered golden/yellow in the middle.

Željko Heimer, 5 June 2012

Coat of arms of Novigrad

The coat of arms is prescribed as "in a semicircular shield on a golden/yellow field a blue cross".
Suc stone carved coats of arms are preserved, but the colors were, seemingly, first introduced in Laszowski's book Grbovi Jugoslavije (1930s) [lsv39].

Željko Heimer, 5 June 2012

Ceremonial flag of Novigrad

The ceremonial flag ("honour flag") is described as a light blue gonfalon of double silk, in size 80 x 150 cm, edged with a golden ribbon and with a golden fringe along the bottom of the tail. In the middle is the coat of arms, above the golden writing "OPĆINA NOVIGRAD", below golden branches of olive and grapevine.

Željko Heimer, 5 June 2012

Table flag of Novigrad

The table flag is in size 20 x 10 cm (it is not explicitly stated that it is rectangular, though!), vertical, with the coat of arms in the middle and the yellow writing "OPĆINA NOVIGRA"D above.

Željko Heimer, 5 June 2012

Former, unofficial symbols of Novigrad

[Municipality flag]         [Municipality coat of arms]

Unofficial flag and arms of Novigrad - Images by Željko Heimer, 15 July 2006

The Municipality of Novigrad did not pass any Decision on the flag and the coat of arms until 2011, even though it used symbols similar to those subsequently adopted.

The flag (photo) is in proportions 1:2, light blue with the coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms is "Or a cross azure".

Željko Heimer, Plamenko Anzulović & Tomislav Šipek, 23 July 2006