Last modified: 2017-02-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: kriz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Križ - Image by Željko Heimer, 13 December 2015
The municipality of Križ (lit., "Cross") is located some 25 km southeast of Zagreb and some 5 km south-east of Ivanić-Grad. Until 1997, it was part of the Sisak-Moslavina County. Population is 7,406 according to the 2001 census, 1,905 in the village of Križ proper.
Željko Heimer, 8 June 2004
The symbols of Križ are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Općine Križ (text), adopted on 3 December 2015 by the Municipality Assembly.
The symbols were desgined by the Pikant Marketing company, owned by Antonio Grgić in Koprivnica, as stated in Zaključak o odabiru idejnog rješenja grba i zastave Općine Križ (Conclusion on the selection of designs for the coat of arms and flag of the municipality of Križ), adopted on 25 February 2015 by the Municipality Assembly and published on 13 March 2015 in the official gazette of Zagreb County Glasnik Zagrebačke županije, No. 6 (text).
During the session of the Municipality Assembly held on 26 October 2015, the Mayor informed the assembly that the Ministry heraldic commission, in a session held on 20 October, had given a green light for the proposed design, and that formal approval was being waited for.
The flag is described in Article 6 of the Decision, as follows:
The flag of the municipality of Križ is coloured blue, in proportions 2:1, with the coat of arms of the municipality of Križ bordered golden in the centre of it.
Željko Heimer, 28 December 2015
Coat of arms of Križ - Image by Željko Heimer, 13 December 2015
The coat of arms of the municipality of Križ is divided in two fields. In the blue field on a green hill is a golden Latin cross shaped as shown in the coat of arms of the Križ Subcounty of 1875. The use of such a cross in the coat of arms of the municipality of Križ is linked with the historical coat of arms of the Križ Subcounty. The Latin cross in the coat of arms of the municipality of Križ is set on a hill showing the topographical shape of the hill upon which the settlement of Križ is located. The cross symbolises also the name of the Parish of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross as well as that of the settlement and of the municipality. The green colour in the coat of arms symbolizes the green fields of the municipality of Križ surrounding the settlement of Križ.
The cross (in Croatian, križ) makes the arms canting . The place was until 1873 a small fort, part of the Military Frontier and named Vojni Križ (Military Cross); after the demilitarization it was transferred to the Bjelovar County and made the seat of a short-lived subdivision called Subcounty (podžupanija). In 1886, the Bjelovar-Križevci County was formed, and Križ became the seat of its smaller subdivision, called kotar.
The Križ Subcounty had been using a coat of arms since 1875, presented as "also an illustration of the old arms of the Kotar seat of Military Cross from a record of the Archdiaconate of Čazma by an unknown author". The coat of arms is shown in a modern redrawing that may be interpreted as "Divided by a bendlet azure gules a cross bottony or and vert a sword fesswise over an oak leaf proper".
It seems that the Greek cross bottony in thse arms, which was used for inspiration of the Latin cross bottony in the modern arms, was inspired in turn by the saltire bottony in the 1871 arms of the Bjelovar County - being also the current arms of the Bjelovar-Bilogora County -; or could it be that the saltire in the 1871 arms was meant to represent that half of the county in the first place - something that was not recorded explicitly so far.
Željko Heimer, 13 December 2015
Former flag and arms of Križ - Images by Željko Heimer, 1 January 2017
The former symbols of Križ were prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Općine Križ, adopted on 18 May 1995 by the Municipality Assembly and published on 29 June 1995 in the official gazette Službeni vjesnik, No. 9.
The flag is described in the Decision as follows:
The flag of the municipality of Križ is light blue, and in the top right corner (next to the flag hoist) is the coat of arms of the municipality of Križ. The ratio of width to length is 1:2.
The companion drawing shows the coat of arms set about 1/10 of the hoist aprt from both top and hoist edges, in height somewhat less than one half of the hoist.
The coat of arms is described in Article 4 of the the Decision as follows:
The coat of arms of the municipality of Križ is in a shield shape, edged with a yellow (golden) edge (in shape of a simple knitting). The coat of arms is divided in two by a light blue horizontal line 3 mm wide, symbolizing river Česma. The bottom half is green, and in the top part above the blue line is set a figure of the Moslavina hills (depicted brown and green) marked wavy. The fart topping the Moslavina hills is light blue, and through the centre of the coat of arms vertically is set, so that it connects with the bottom edge, the figure of the church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, coloured red and edged in yellow (golden edge) into which the left (heraldic) side are incorporated a brown oak leaf, and in the base of the tower, also on the left, separately a small, yellow (golden) oak leaf.
The table flag (photo, 20 December 2011) was light blue, ending triangularly, with the coat of arms in the middle, the red inscription "OPĆINA KRIŽ" above a black line (or, possibly, a wattle ornament) and some kind of golden ornament above.
Željko Heimer & Marko Vitez, 1 January 2017