This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Groenlo (The Netherlands)

Oost Gelre municipality, Gelderland province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: groenlo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Groenlo municipality Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 19 Jan 1993; design: Drs. Hans van Heyningen.

See also:

Groenlo former municipality

In 2004 the new municipality of Oost Gelre was formed by the merger of the former municipalities of Groenlo and Lichtenvoorde.
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 9.400; area: 9,41 km². Settlements: Groenlo (seat), Eefsele.
Groenlo is an old medieval town in the Achterhoek. It was one of the last Spanish held possessions north of the big rivers during the 80-years war, taken by us in 1627. Also (and perhaps better) known as Grol, hence Grolsch beer.
The old flag (rampant lion or on blue) had been long in use, before it was officially adopted on 5 September 1961. That flag was derived from the municipal Coat of Arms, where the lion reminds of the death of Willem van Nassau before the walls of Groenlo in 1627.
Willem aka Willem Lalecq (1601-1627) was the bastard son of Maurits van Nassau and Margaretha van Mechelen.
Jarig Bakker, 26 September 1999

Historical flag

old Groenlo flag Shipmate Flagchart :
Used 1961-1993

Groenlo Coat of Arms

[Groenlo Coat of Arms] image from the Groenlo municipal website.

Granted 20 Jul 1816.