This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Lichtenvoorde (The Netherlands)
Oost Gelre municipality, Gelderland province
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: lichtenvoorde |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 30 Oct 1969.
Lichtenvoorde former municipality
In 2004 the new municipality of Oost Gelre
was formed by the merger of the former municipalities of Groenlo
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 19.446; area: 73,83 km². Settlements:
Lichtenvoorde (seat), Harreveld, Lievelde, Vragender, Zieuwent.
Lichtenvoorde is a municipality in the Achterhoek, East Gelderland.
This area was already inhabited 5000 years ago. In the 10the century AD
it became a 'heerlijkheid' - 'lordship', which was inherited by
the Polish prince Adam Czartorisky, who sold it to Prince Willem V in 1776.
The old flag was divided vertically Yellow - Red and in the center the
municipal Coat of Arms, crowned; it was adopted 1958, after it had been used for
several years unofficially. The castle on the Coat of Arms reminds of the former
Jarig Bakker, 4 October 1999