This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Leżajsk town (Poland)

Leżajsk county, Podkarpackie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: lezajsk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Leżajsk city flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 25 Oct 2008
adopted 30 Dec 2002 See also:

Leżajsk city flag

Leżajsk - urban commune, Leżajsk County, Podkarpackie Voivodship - full name: Wolne Królewskie Miasto Leżajsk (The Free Royal Town of Leżajsk); Yiddish name: (Lizhensk).
Leżajsk is a town in southeastern Poland with 14,176 inhabitants (2007).
Leżajsk is famed for its Bernardine basilica and monastery, built by the architect Antonio Pellacini and the organ recitals that take place in the basilica. It is also home of the Leżajsk brewery.
It has been situated in the Subcarpathian Voivodship since 1999 and is the capital of Leżajsk County.
The Jewish cemetery in Leżajsk is a place of pilgrimage for Jews from all over the world, who come to visit the tomb of Elimelech, the great 18th century Orthodox rabbi.
The town is crossed by a forest creek, 'Jagoda'.

Arms and flag adopted on December 30, 2002 (resolution # III/18/02).
"Arms: A double, Jagiellonian cross of silver color, outlined in gold, placed on a red shield, and on a blue field of oval shape.
Above the main charge is a golden wand of Hermes (caduceus) entwined by two serpents and surmounted by wings, a scale and a book (in silver color).

Flag: a blue vertical rectangle with the arms placed in the middle and with a red ribbon spelling in silver letters "LEŻAJSK" above the date "1397" in golden numbers."
Jens Pattke, 13 Apr 2003

Leżajsk city Coat of Arms

[Leżajsk city Coat of Arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 25 Oct 2008
adopted 30 Dec 2002