Last modified: 2017-06-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: istanbul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bahçeşehir University - Image by Randy Young, 11 January 2016
The Bahçeşehir University (website) was founded in 1998 at the European side of Istanbul. The university's flag (photo) is white with the university's emblem in the middle.
Esteban Rivera, 5 January 2016
Flag of Galatasaray University - Image by Randy Young, 5 January 2016
Galatasaray University (Galatasaray Üniversitesi; website) was established on 14 April 1992, following an agreement signed with the presence of President François Mitterrand of France and President
Turgut Özal of Turkey during a ceremony at Galatasaray High School
(website), the mother school of
the university. Galatasaray University is one of the most important
members of the Galatasaray Community as Galatasaray High School and
Galatasaray Sports Club, and is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious and notable universities in Turkey.
The name Galatasaray comes from that of Galatasaray High School, which in turn takes its name from Galata Saray§ Enderün-u Hümâyün (Galata Palace Imperial School), the name of the original school founded on the site in 1481. This originates its name from the nearby medieval Genoese citadel of Galata. Galatasaray translates directly as "Galata Palace".
The flag of Galatasaray University (photo) is white with the university's emblem (circular on the flag while oval as self-standing).
Esteban Rivera, 5 January 2016
Flag of Istanbul University - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 June 2013
Istanbul University (İstanbul Üniversitesi; website) is made of 20 Faculties, 3 Schools and 6 Vocational Higher Schools. Some 90,000
students are taught by 5,300 staff members. The university manages 12
campuses, the main of them being Beyaz─ıt-Central campus, whose
monumental gate, built in 1864-1869, is the symbol of the university.
Istanbul University is considered to have been first established in 1453 by Sultan Mehmed II in Zeyrek and Hagia Sophia madrasahs. Among the first professors was the mathematician and astronomer Ali Qushji (1403-1474), the head of Samarkand observatory. In 1470, the two madrasahs were incorporated into the Fatih complex, which included a mosque, eight madrasahs, a library, an hospital and a guest-house. Mulla Khusraw (d. 1480) was the first head of the complex. In 1557, Suleyman the Magnificent commissioned the architect Mimar Sinan to build the Suleyman complex, a peak in the Ottoman architecture and education.
In the 19th century, the madrasahs, deemed obsolete, were replaced by institutes of higher education called darülfünun, which were the core of the modern Istanbul University. Recognized a State school on 21 April 1924, the university was reorganized on 1 August 1933. In the 1930s, the Istanbul University hired several German and Austrian scientists expelled from the Third Reich by anti-Jewish laws or for political reasons, such as the astronom Erwin Finlay-Freundlich (1885-1964), the botanist Alfred Heilbronn (1885-1961), the philologist Leo Spitzer (1887-1960), the mathematician Richard von Mises (1883-1953), the odontologist Alfred Kantorowicz (1880-1962), and the physician Friedrich Dessauer (1881-1963).
The flag of Istanbul University (photo, photo) is white with the university's emblem in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 28 June 2013
Flag of ITICU - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 November 2010
Istanbul Commerce University (İstanbul Ticaret Üniversitesi - ITICU) (website), founded in 2001 by the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce, caters more than 1,100 students. The University is made of the Faculties of Arts and Science, Commercial Sciences, Law, Communication, and Engineering and Design.
The flag of ITICU (photos, 27 December 2009) is golden yellow with the university's emblem in the middle.
The emblem of ITICU is a golden yellow disk outlined in black, with, in the middle, a logo seemingly formed with the letters "I", "T", "C" and "U", placed on four steps, surrounded by the university's name and foundation year, all in black.
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2010
Flag of TAU, as seen on German News, 29 April 2014 - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 April 2014
The flag of the Turkish-German University (website) is white with the university's emblem in its centre. The emblem displays the acronym "“taü”" in stylized, dark grey lower case letters. The upper left part of the "a" and the dots on the "ü" are turquoise blue.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 April 2014