Last modified: 2018-04-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: hacıbektaş |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Hacıbektaş - Image Tomislav Šipek, 17 July 2015
The municipality of Hacıbektaş (11,123 inhabitants in 2016, 5,174 in the town of Hacıbektaş; 66,600 ha) is located 50 km north of Nevşehir.
Ivan Sache, 28 December 2017
The flag of Hacıbektaş is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 18 June 2015
Flag of the Hacıbektaş district government - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 28 December 2017
The flag of the Hacıbektaş district government (photo) is white with the government's emblem. "T.C." stands for "Türkiye Cumhuriyeti", "Republic of Turkey"; "Türkiye Cumhuriyeti" means "Republic of Turkey"; "Kaymakamlığı" means "District government".
The emblem features the town's namesake, the Alevi mystic philosopher Haci Bektas Veli.
Haci Bektas Veli Complex in Hacıbektaş was submitted on 13 April 2012 for registration on UNESCO's World Heritage List (files), as follows:
Haci Bektas Veli is the great Turkish philosopher of the 13th century, the practitioner of Hoca Ahmed Yesevi’s doctrines in Anatolia and the eponym of the Bektashism, a religious order of Alevism. The base of his philosophy lies on humanity, human rights and social equality that he counsels for the man to be modest, to purify his soul, to mature, to abstain from show off and to be full of love of God. His principles lead to the cultural harmony and enlightening in Anatolia.
The belief system of Bektashism, based on the “Love of Universe-God-Man” has spread rapidly throughout the Anatolia after his death. Bektashi dervishes also spread to different parts of the world once they reached to a certain level of maturity in order to disseminate the Bektashi humanity in the world. Therefore, Bektashism lives today not only in Hacibektas, but also in many countries particularly those in Balkans and Middle East.
The Complex founded in the 14th century is located in the district of Hacıbektaş in central Kizilirmak region of Central Anatolia. When Haci Bektas Veli moved from Nisabur in Horasan, Sulucakarahoyuk, the name of the district at that time, was a small village which eventually developed and expanded. The name has been changed after death of Haci Bektas Veli in 1337 in commemoration of the tolerance atmosphere he built on the grounds of humanity.
The Complex, which had the settlement pattern of the Turkish Palaces with courtyards, around which the units were settled according to their functions, consists of buildings around the 1st courtyard (Nadar), 2nd courtyard (dervish lodge) and 3rd courtyard. It was built by simple stone masonry and decorated with ornaments particular to Bektashism. The Complex has witnessed many additions and comprehensive restoration in time, but it reached its present form mainly in the 16th century.
Having served as dergah since 13th century, the Complex was closed on the 30th of November, 1925 accordingly to the “Act for Dissolving the Lodges and Corners” and opened as museum in 1964 following the decision of the Cabinet dated 1960.
Bektashism, developed on the philosophy of Haci Bektas Veli in the 13th century, is a belief system which has been followed by many believers not only in Anatolia, but also in the Balkans and the Middle East. The words of 13th century philosopher Haci Bektas Veli are such as to giving messages to 8 centuries later that they also coincide with the “Un-Declaration of Human Rights” which was accepted in 1948. Haci Bektas Veli had great influence on the turkization of Anatolia as well as establishment of Ottoman Empire. He is a leader which is also known and respected by the people of Bulgaria, Greece, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Hungary and Romania.
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 28 December 2017