This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tokat (District Municipality, Turkey)

Last modified: 2016-10-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: tokat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Municipality flag]

Flag of Tokat - Image by Jens Pattke, 9 March 2013


See also:


Presentation of Tokat

The municipality of Tokat (182,225 inhabitants, 132,437 in the town proper; 19,230 ha) is located between Sivas and Niksar.

Ivan Sache, 13 March 2016


Flag of Tokat

The flag of Tokat (photo, photo) is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem of the municipality depicts the local landscape, featuring Tokat castle built on the rock dominating the town and the town's clock tower.

The town of Tokate was conquered by the Seljuk Turks at the end of the 12th century and was incorporated into the Ottoman empire in 1392. Tokat Castle, a ruined citadel also known as the fortress Dazimon, lies on the steep hills above the city. Prince Vlad III and his brother Radu are believed to have been held at the castle in 1442 by the Ottomans. Vlad, who was born between 1428 and 1431 in Sighişaora, Transylvania, is the prince who is the inspiration for Bram Stoker's 1897 gothic novel Dracula.
Archaeologists believe they have discovered dungeons, tunnels and a military shelter where Vlad the Impaler – who served as the inspiration for Bram Stoker's character Dracula – is believed to have been held hostage in the early 15th century. The find was made during restoration works at the castle, which uncovered a secret tunnel leading to the nearby Pervane Baths and a military shelter. Two dungeons were discovered, where Wallachian Prince Vlad III, known as Vlad the Impaler, is believed to have been kept captive by the Ottoman Turks.
[International Business Times, 29 September 2014]

The clock tower was commissioned by Governor Bekir Pasha and Mayor Mütevellioğlu Enver Bey for the 25th anniversary of the crowning of Sultan Abdul Hamid II. The tower, which is approximately 33 m in height, is located in the neighborhood of Behzat.

Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 13 March 2016