Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 20 February 2006
Some background from the university website:
"The Colombian Polytechnic Jaime Isaza Cadavid is a Public University Institution, funded by the departmental government of Antioquia. Founded in 1964, the Polytechnic now caters for approximately 13,200 students. The main campus is situated in El Poblado, in the city of Medellín, and counts on 1,300 educational and 350 administrative staff, as well as its three academic centers in other municipalities of the department of Antioquia.
The Polytechnic is a national leader in technological education and at present offers higher education at technological, technical and academic levels with a range of pregraduate and postgraduate courses in areas such as Engineering, Administration, Agrarian Sciences, Audiovisual Communication, Sport and Recreation. These programs are supplemented by various extension, continued education and informal courses available to the general public."
"Poli" is named after Jaime Isaza Cadavid (1919-1965). Cadavid studied in the Faculty of Law of the University of Antioquia. He had liberal leanings and was elected Deputy at the Departmental Assembly of Antioquia, (Municipal?) Councillor in Fredonia and Antioquia, Deputy at the Chamber and Senator of the Republic. He served as Dean and Professor ad Honorem in the Faculty of Law of the University of Medellín. He significantly contributed to the foundation of "Poli"; by Order 11 of 30 November 1965, his name was given to "Poli" as a posthumous tribute.
The flag of "Poli" recalls the shield of the University, which is per fess or and vert with additional charges. Or/yellow symbolizes strength of the students whereas Vert/green symbolizes hope and confidence in the future.
Source: <www.politecnicojic.edu.co>, located by Valentin Poposki, 18 February 2006.
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2006.and 20 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 16 September 2014
Institución Educativa Javiera Londono was established in 1949 in Medellín (Antioquia
Department). The institute is named for Javiera Londono (1696-1767). Born in
Medellín, she spent her life in the valley of San Nicolás de Rio Negro; in spite
of being of wealthy and noble ascent, she did not receive any education and
could not sign her name. When very young, she married Captain Ignacio Castañeda
and subsequently inherited his goods, including the best stables in the region.
Without children, she liberated her slaves short before her death and
transferred to them the mines she owned in the neighbourhood. She also
bequeathed part of her fortune to the municipalities of Rio Negro and Marinilla
to improve education.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-blue, the yellow stripe being "higher". Yellow represents wealth, like on the national coat of arms, harmony, science, social interaction, and social projection. Blue is a symbol of measure and prudence, and of the immense sea of integral education on which flies the institute's flag.
Ivan Sache, 16 September 2014
image by Carlos Thompson, 27 May 2003
"Pontificia Universidad Javeriana" is a catholic
university dated from 1621. You can find the flag and symbols of
this university <www.javeriana.edu.co>.
Jorge Eduardo Alonso, 8 June 2002
The flag of the University is made of three horizontal stripes
yellow, white and blue, of equal width. The flag is presecribed
by General Regulation #794.
As pointed out by Jorge, the University has a very long history, divided into two distinct periods:
1621-1767 - Pope Gregor XV allowed the Jesuits to found universities in South America by a brief dated 9 July 1621. The "Academia de San Francisco Javier", named after St. Francis-Xavier, was confirmed by an order of King of Spain Philip III dated 2 March 1622. On 23 June 1704, Pope Clement XII granted the "Academia" the title of "Public University". The first period of the University ended on 1 July 1767, when King of Spain Charles III expelled the Jesuits from his dominions.
1930 - The University was reestablished on 1 October 1930. On 31 July 1937 (St. Ignatius of Loyola's Day), the University was granted by the Holy See the title of "Pontifical University". Its current statute was approved by the Holy See on 27 April 1978 and by Resolution # 5117, dated 16 May 1985, signed by the Minister of National Eductaion of Columbia.
Ivan Sache, 9 June 2002
Concering Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá, the site
just says "blue", but the shade I have always seen
flying is light sky blue (together with the Vatican and Colombian
flags). Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Valle del
Cauca is actually the same University as Javeriana Bogotá, but
has a lot of authonomy. The simbols, incliding the flag,
are the same. In the website <www.puj.edu.co>
they do use the light shade of blue.
Carlos Thompson, 27 May 2003
I study at the PUJ and the flag that I've seen, which is flown
rarely (at beginning of semesters, when an important jesuit dies
etc.), use the same shade of blue than that of the Colombia flag.
Jaime Vengoechea, 10 June 2003
I am based mostly on memory (I am Javeriano too) and on these
Carlos Thompson, 10 June 2003
image by Carlos Thompson, 22 July 2003
I was today at my University and it was an interesting display
of flags. On each pole set, they had flying the flags of Colombia
(in the middle), the University (at the viewers left) and the
Vatican (without the charge: plain yellow and white per pale; at
the right). Also, on every mast there was two vertical flags
framed: the University's and the Colombian flag. (Javeriana
flag at viewers left, and top to the left in both flags).
The shade of blue on all those flags was the same shade as the Colombian flag (some times it seem slightly lighter, but definitively it was not sky blue).
Carlos Thompson, 22 July 2003
image by Ivan Sache, 5 February 2009
"Colegio Parroquial 'Jesús de la Buena Esperanza'"
(Jesus of Good Hope) was founded in 1959 by Priest Carlos Gustavo
Pérez Mejía (1918-1976) in Bello, Department of Antioquia.
The flag of the institute, as shown gaphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided yellow-green. Yellow represents wisdom, wealth and the Eucharist. Green represents hope, liberty and joy.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 17 March 2015
Colegio Jesús María (official name Comunidad Colegio Jesús-María, Jesus Mary
Community High School) was established in Medellín ( Jesus Mary High School ) in
1958 inspired by the teachings of Saint Claudine Thévenet ,as a Catholic school.
Its flag is a horizontal white over red flag, in equally divided stripes, as seen here.
Source: http://www.jesusmariamed.edu.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:simbolos&catid=2:contenido-base&Itemid=120 .
It may sometimes be charged with the respective coat of arms, as their official website states.
Picture taken outside the main entrance of the school, on March 12, 2015). Notice the Antioquia Department flag on the left, and behindit, the school's flag.
For additional information go to: Colegio Jesús María (official website)
Esteban Rivera, 17 March 2015
image by Ivan Sache, 7 February 2009
"Institución Educativa 'Joaquín de Cayzedo y
Cuero'" was founded, as "Colegio del Barrio Cristóbal
Colón", affiliated to "Instituto Politécnico
Municipal", in Borough Cristóbal Colón, Municipality of
Cali, Department of Valle del Cauca, on 15 October 1964 (Decree
No. 0750). On 8 March 1965 (Decree No. 0623), the
institute was renamed "Colegio 'Joaquín de Cayzedo y
Cuero'"; on 8 April 1966 (Decree No. 0406), it became
independent from "Instituto Politécnico Municipal".
The institute is named after the politician Joaquín de Cayzedo y
Cuero, who presided the Extraordinary Assembly that gathered in
Cali on 3 July 1810 and issued what is often, seemingly
erroneously, considered as the first independence declaration of
Colombia. See: <www.elpais.com.co>.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and on a photo on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided yellow-white-green.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 30 January 2009
"Institución Educativa Técnica 'Joaquín París'"
was created at Ibagué, Department of Tolima, on 2 October 2002
(Decree No. 1216), transforming "Centro Auxiliar de
Servicios Docentes de Ibagué" into a full-fledged
educational institute. General Joaquín París y Ricaurte
(1795-1862), a hero of the War of Independence, was appointed
Vice-President of Colombia in 1855. On 24 June 1983, for the
celebration of the 200th anniversary of Simón Bolívar, the
names of several of his brothers-in-arms were given to
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided green-white.
Ivan Sache, 30 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 12 August 2014
Institución Educativa John F. Kennedy was established in 1964 in Puerto
Boyacá (Boyacá Department), as Concentración Kennedy. This was part of the
Alliance of Progress, a joint educational program set up by Colombia and the
USA. The institutes established in the frame of the program were named for
President Kennedy. Resolutions No. 1,804 and 1,805 of 13 June 2000 transformed
the institute into Colegio de Educación Basica y Media Academica John F.
Kennedy. Institución Educativa John F. Kennedy was eventually established by
Resolution No. 367 of 20 February 2009.
The flag of the institute is vertically divided green-white-red with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green is a symbol of ecology. White is a symbol of rectitude and transparency. Red is a symbol of freedom.
Source: http://www.jfkennedy.edu.co/bandera.html - Institute's website
The emblem was designed in 2002 by the students Jorge Armando Gutiérrez and Luis Carlos Camaño, guided by the teacher José Calixto Fonseca.
The emblem is made of a white disk surrounded by two gray rings, representing planet Earth and the oil resources of the municipality. The name of the institute, as "INST. EDUC. JOHN F. KENNEDY", is placed in the upper part of the disk, surmounting a green shield that symbolizes the natural environment and aspiration to a better future. The shield is charged with the symbol of the Alliance for Progress. The symbol is made of a circle, representing the union of nations, inscribing an arrow showing progress towards new goals; the flanks of the arrow are inscribed with the institute's principles, "AUTONOMIA" (Autonomy) and "SABIDURIA" (Knowledge). The arrow supports a hand holding a flaming torch symbolizing honour. Left of the arrow is represented a computer as a reference for the emphasis put by the institute on computer science.
Beneath the disk is a rising sun charged with the letters "JFK", flanked by two gray comets that symbolize life. The name of the municipality is written on two red wings symbolizing transcendency, while the institute's third principle, "LIBERTAD" (Liberty), is written on a blue scroll.
The colours of the emblem are those of the flags of Colombia (yellow, blue, and red), of the Boyacá Department (green, white, and red), and of the municipality of Puerto Boyacá (gray, white, and green).
Source: http://www.jfkennedy.edu.co/escudo.html#seccionEscudo - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 12 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2009
"Colegio Jordán de Sajonia" was recognized by the
Ministry of National Education on 18 May 1998 (Decree No. 3417).
as the legal successor of "Escuela Apostólica San Vicente
Ferrer", originally founded in the Colombian Marian town of
Chiquinquirá, Department of Boyacá, in the 1940s. On 29
September 1959, the new building of the institute, which had been
relocated in Bogotá in 1949, was inaugurated and the institute
was renamed after Blessed Jordan of Saxony (c. 1190-1237), second
Master General of the Dominican Order and first successor of St.
Dominic. The institute is one of the six "colegios"
ran by the Dominican Order, together with the
"Universidad Santo Tomás", in
Colombia (Province of San Luis Bertrán of the Order).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with a triangle horizontally divided black-white placed along the hoist and pointing to the coat of arms of the institute, which is, apparently, placed in the middle of the flag.
Green represents virtue and hope. Black and white are the colours of the Dominican Order.
Black, as absorbing light, represents interiorization and appropriation of knowledge.
White, as the lack of colour and the plenitude of light, represents truth revealed to mankind and enlightening it.
The coat of arms of the institute was designed by Friar Alberto Epaminondas Ariza, who was in charge of the transfer of the institute to its new site in the 1950s. The shield is horizontally divided, on top a half Cross of Calatrava, which is the coat of arms of the Dominican Order, on bottom a landscape showing a green oak in front of green mountains surmounted by a blue sky with three white clouds. The oak represents the firmness of the education program of the college, expected to raise the students up to mountains where they will challenge storms.
The shield is surmounted by a scroll bearing a star symbolizing St. Dominic and the motto of the college, "STEMUS SIMUL" ("Let us stand together", Isaiah 50.8), adopted in 1954. The border is coloured or (dexter) and argent (sinister) to symbolize the rich educationalist tradition of the Dominican community. The black writing "COLEGIO JORDÁN DE SAJONIA - DOMINICOS" was added to the border of the shield in 1997.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 24 November 2014
Institución Educativa Jorge Alberto Gómez Gómez (INEJAGO) is located
in Granada (Antioquia Department).
The institute is named for a former Mayor of Granada, Jorge Alberto
Gómez Gómez, who was awarded in 1997 the title of "Best Mayor in
The flag of the institute is divided yellow-green by a white saltire. In the middle is placed a blue disk charged with five yellow stars.
Source: http://www.granada-antioquia.gov.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=434:ie-jorge-alberto-gomez-gomez&catid=99:nuestras-instituciones - Granada municipal website
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 12 July 2014
Colegio Integrado Jorge Isaac was established on 14 February 1972 in Diamante
I borough, part of the municipality of Bucaramanga (Santander Department), by
Isaac Salcedo Lizarazo (1925-2010) and Ernestina Sánchez de Salcedo.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-light green. The blue stripe represents the search for noble ideals. The white stripe is a symbol of purity, limpidity, and beauty. The light green stripe is a symbol of hope.
http://www.coljorgeisaac.com/sitio/insignias.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2014
Colegio Distrital Jorge Isaacs is located in the Simón Bolivar borough, part of the municipality of Barranquilla (Atlántico Department). The institute is named for the Colombian poet and novelist Jorge Isaacs (1837-1895), mostly known for his romantic novel "Maria".
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-light blue. White is
a symbol of peace. Blue represents the water that surrounds the coast and is the
source of life.
http://luissalavarria.wordpress.com/colegio-distrital-jorge-isaacs/ - Luis C. Salavarria's blog
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
Colegio Jorge Isaacs is located in Soacha (Department of Cundinamarca). The
institute is named for the Colombian poet and novelist Jorge Isaacs (1837-1895),
mostly known for his romantic novel "Maria". The flag of Colegio Jorge Isaacs,
as shown graphically on the institute's blog, is horizontally divided
Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
"Instituto Jorge Robledo" was founded in 1949 in
Medellín. The institute is named after the Spanish Marshal Jorge
Robledo (1500-1546), known as "The Conquistador of
Antioquia". The President of the Republic Ālvaro Uribe
Vélez and the cyclist Santiago Botero have studied in the
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of ADER ("Asociación de Robledistas"), is horizontally divided red-green with a yellow square canton.
Red represents the youth's ardor and valor.
Green conveys self-confidence, represents the fecund daily work and recalls the classic pennant of Antioquia.
Yellow represents purity and firmness required to reach the objectives.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
Current flag of the University
image by Ivan Sache, 3 December 2005
Current emblem of the University
image from the University website
Former, original flag of the University
image by Ivan Sache, 3 December 2005
The Jorge Tadeo Lozano University of Bogotá
(Universidad de Bogotá Jorge Tadeo Lozano) was founded on 5
February 1954 by Joaquín Molano Campuzano, Javier Pulgar Vidal
and Jaime Forero Valdés. The main goal of the University was
"to continue on the cultural and scientific work initiated
during the Botanical Expedition in the Kingdom of New
Granada." This expedition (Expedición Botánica
del Nuevo Reino de Granada) took place in 1783.
Accordingly, the University is named after Jorge Tadeo Lozano (1770-1816). Lozano, born in a noble family from Santafé de Bogotá (today internationally known as Bogotá), studied chemistry in the Royal Laboratory of Madrid (Spain) and was appointed Professor of Chemistry in the Colegio de Nuestra Senora del Rosario in Santa Fé. Lozano took part to the Botanical Expedition as a zoologist. In 1801, he was visited in Santafé by the famous naturalists Humboldt and Bonpland. Lozano was also a patriot. He wrote in 1811 a proposal of liberal Constitution and set up an alliance with Venezuela, which is considered as the first attempt of pan-Americanism. In 1814, Lozano published with José Ángel Manrique the struggle newspaper "El anteojo de larga vista"; he was elected Representative of the Province of Chocó at the General Congress gathered in Santafé. Lozano was arrested and sentenced to death in 1816 with other patriots; he was shot on 6 July 1816. One of the founders of the University, Joaquín Molano, is a descendant of Joaquín Gómez Hoyos, husband of María Tadea Lozano e Isasi, Lozano's widow.
The first faculties of the University, which is nicknamed "la Tadeo", opened in 1955. The University increased with time and more faculties were incorporated. In 1962, the Faculty of Marine Sciences initiated teaching of Aquaculture and Oceanography in Colombia. The bicentenary of the Botanical Expedition was celebrated in 1983 with the structuration of the University into three academic areas recalling the goals of the Expedition: Engineering and Natural Resources (Agricultural Management, Marine Biology, Food Science, Agrology and Geography), Law and Economics (Law, Management, Information Systems, International Trade, Public Accounting, Economics, Market, International Relations, Foreign Trade and Tourism) and Arts, Design and Communication (Architecture, Interior Design, Fine Arts, Social Communication, Graphic Design, Industrial and Commercial Design). Some faculties have been relocated in Cartagena and Santa Marta.
The flag of the University is blue with the emblem of the University in the middle. This flag was adopted by the Board of the University on 1 December 2001 (Decree #19). It superseded the former, original flag of the University, which was horizontally divided green-black.
The University used three successive emblems. The first, original emblem shows a green star with the white letters UJTL, the acronym of the University, supported by a stylized bird (?). This emblem is based on the emblem of the Peruvian party APRA, itself based on the Halcón from the local culture Chavin from Huantar. It recalls the strong Indo-American feelings of APRA, shared by the founders of the University.
The second emblem of the University was proposed by Dr. Fabio Lozano y Lozano, President of the Board of the University and member of the International Institute of Genealogy and Heraldry, and approved by the Board on 13 June 1960. The shield is: "El de Bogotá, teniendo en cuenta el nombre de la misma y el hecho de haber sido fundada en esta ciudad". (The [shield] of Bogotá, because of bearing the name of the city and having been founded in the city). The graphical design of the emblem was made by the artist César Pedraza, alumnus of the Faculty of Geography of the University. The shield of the University differs from the standard coat of arms of Bogotá by its Spanishized shape and some further details. The original shield of Santafé de Bogotá was granted by Emperor Charles V for the whole Kingdom of New Granada, by patented letters signed on 3 December 1548 in Valladolid: " por sus armas conocidad un escudo que en medio dél haya una águila negra rampante entera, coronada de oro, que en cada mano tenga una granada colorada en campo de oro, y por erla unos ramos con granadas de oro en campo azul ". The eagle (águila) symbolizes greatness and noble view; as portrayed on the shield, it is an adaptation of Isobel the Catholic's eagle. The shield is crowned by a Duke's coronet, as it is often the case on the shield of Spanish cities.
The third, currently in use, emblem of the University was proposed by Dr. Alfonso Velasco Rojas, Head of the Department of Publishing and Corporate Emblematic of the University and approved by the Board on 1 August 2000 (Decree #13). The graphical design of the emblem was made by Felipe Duque Rueda. The shield of the University is surrounded by a ring bearing the name of the University and flanked by the year of foundation: 19 (left) 54 (right). The whole emblem is coloured in blue; the name of the University is written below the emblem in black. The representation of the shield has been improved compared with the second version of the emblem of the University. The multicoloured version of the emblem shall be used only in the official documents of the University released by the Rectorate and the General Secretariat. The flag of the University features that coloured version of the emblem.
Source: Universidad de Bogota Jorge Tadeo Lozano, located by Valentin Poposki.
Ivan Sache, 3 December 2005