Last modified: 2015-08-19 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 27 June 2014
Colegio Psicopedagógico La Sabiduría was established in 1991 in El Mortiño
(Bogotá) by Margoth Alied Mora Arévalo and her husband Raúl Ruiz González.
The flag of the institute is vertically divided red-white-blue-white-red (1:1:4:1:1) with a white star in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 27 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 20 October 2014
Colegio de La Sagrada Familia was established in 1953 in Baranquilla
(Atlántico Department) by the Tertiary Capuchins, a congregation founded in 1889
by Luis Amigó Ferrer and active in Colombia since 1905.
The flag of the institute is described in Chapter 1.2.2 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook, as divided green-white according to the ascending diagonal, with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green is a symbol of the ecological orientation of the Franciscan ideal, which encourages to love the natural environment and to take care of it, and exalts hope as one of the theological virtues. White is a symbol of virtue, purity, transparency, and of the Christian values.
The emblem of the institute is described in Chapter 1.2.1 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook. The emblem was designed in 1970, when a group of students and teachers decided to adopt an emblem featuring the red and yellow colours and the Bible as a symbol of spirituality.
Source: http://www.colsagradafamilia.com/directivos/Manual_de_Convivencia.pdf - Institute' website
Ivan Sache, 20 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 02 July 2014
Institución Educativa Tecnica La Sagrada Familia is located in Ibagué (Tolima
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-green.
Source: http://www.ietsagradafamilia.edu.co/portal/?cat=6 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 02 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2014
Colegio La Salle was established in Cúcuta (Norte del Santander Department)
by the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian School (Lasallians). Liceo del
Santísimo Niņo Jesús was founded on 15 May 1931 by Friar Idinael Enrique,
director of Colegio Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, as a private branch of that
institute. The new institute soon superseded Colegio Sagrado Corazón de Jesús by
its number of students. The Provincial Lasallian chapter decided in 1940 to
withdraw from Cúcuta following a dispute with the municipal administration;
after protest by the population of the town and by the teachers, Father Alfonso
Juan was allowed to establish a new, smaller Lasallian institute on the Villa de
Fidelia estate, purchased on 12 December 1941. The building of the new institute
would be delayed until 11 June 1951; the institute was eventually blessed on 26
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-blue.
http://www.lasallecucuta.org/imagencorporativa/corporative-la-salle.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2014
Chapter 7.2 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook says that the flag was
designed in 1954 by the first director of the institute, Friar Venidlo (Antonio
Bedoya). The flag features the sun dissolved in its folds and the blue of the
heavens flourishing like childhood and youth.
Source: http://lasallecucuta.org/manual.pdf - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 19 October 2014
image by Carlos Thompson, 17 March 2003
Colegio de La Salle, Bogotá, Colombia (La Salle School, Bogota) - This is my school, so I know how
the flag looked like, and I checked with a black and white
picture. A yellow field with a blue band bellow, in the
middle there is the Star of the school (every La Salle
institution has its own star), with the words COLEGIO DE LA SALLE
above the star and BOGOTA bellow.
Carlos Thompson, 17 March 2003
image by Ivan Sache, 24 September 2014
Liceo Infantil La Salle is located in Ibagué (Tolima Department).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-red.
Source: http://liceoinfantillasalleibague.blogspot.fr/2013/04/bandera-liceo-infantil-la-salle.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 24 September 2014
image by Carlos Thompson, 17 March 2003
Universidad de La Salle, Bogota,
Colombia (University of La Salle) - According to <www.lasalle.edu.co>,
the picture show a blue-white-blue, equally divided vertically
flag, but in the text they say that the white is wider and the
coat of arms is in the middle enclosed by a golden circle.
Carlos Thompson, 17 March 2003
The flag is one of the most representative symbols of the
university, used in main ceremonies, the Day of St. Jean-Baptiste
de La Salle (15 May), graduation ceremonies, special ceremonies.
The graduates of the university shall take the oath on the flag. The flag shall be half-staffed after the death of students, professors or administrators of the university, and may cover their coffin.
Blue represents the sky that covers us, water that feeds us and freedom, the source of democracy.
White represents the light that enlightens and guides us, ethics, honesty, dignity and purity in the intentions.
The shield placed in the middle of the flag represents the "Signum Fidei" (Sing of Faith) of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian School (aka De La Salle Brothers).
The shield of the university reflects its origin, philosophy and project for the future. The shield is of modern shape, symbolizing the institute as a modern community.
The honour (central) piece of the shield, a pile or issuing from the base, symbolizes rectitude and honesty that should guide all the acts of the university, as well as the exemplary honourability of its governors and the commitment to help the poor and defend the principle of authority. It is charged with a cross gules, shaped like the cross used by the knight crusaders, as a symbol of Christian and Catholic faith and of a new crusade for culture, science and technology led by the university.
The dexter (left) piece, azure, symbolizes serenity and balance. It is charged with the Lasallian star argent with projections or, which is the universal symbol of the Lasallian movement.
The sinister (right) piece, gules, symbolizes intrepidity, heroism and sacrifice. It is charged with three broken chevrons or taken from the arms of the De La Salle family.
The scroll placed above the shield bears in capital letters sable, as a symbol of science and knowledge, the name of the university, the motto of the De La Salle Brothers ("Signum Fidei", in Latin, "Sign of Faith") and the motto of the De La Salle family ("Indivisa Manent", in Latin, "Let us all be united").
The Lasallian star recalls the legend saying that a star fell from the sky to mark the place where an abbey dedicated to the Blessed Virgin (here, Our Lady of the Star) should be built. It also symbolizes the Lasallian teachings guiding the youth.
Another Lasallian website recalls the history and heraldry of the De La Salle family as follows:
"The house of De La Salle was first established in Urgel, an area of Catalonia, Spain, where the form of the family name was "Salla." The head of the family, Johan Salla, Warrior in Chief of Atphonus the Chaste, King of Oviedo, expelled the Moors from Urgel and reestablished the Episcopal See in 818. The broken legs he sustained during combat as he fought side by side with his king are the origin of the broken chevrons on the De La Salle's coat of arms.
In the 13th century, the family migrated to the Basque County in the south of France, and though their name became French, they retained "Salla!" as their battle cry. The ancient motto of the family is "Que sien toustem ligato amasse," which in Gascon language means "Let us all be united!" or "Let us all stick together!" The Reims branch of the family translated this motto into the Latin "Indivisa Manent," which is the present wording of the motto on the coat of arms."
Ivan Sache, 27 December 2008
Blue symbolizes the spiritual values while yellow symbolizes the material
values. The colors were selected for their harmonic contrast. The whole design
is based on the "law of harmonic distribution".
The five dissimilar points of the star represent the institutes' philosophy and objectives.
Source: - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 09 November 2014
Institución Educativa Las Américas was established in Las Américas borough,
part of the municipality of Buenaventura (Valle Department) by Decree No. 1,818
of 4 September 2002, as the merger of Centro Docente Las Américas and Centro
Docente Carlos Holmes Trujillo.
The symbols of the institute are described in the institute's Strategic Plan of Management. The flag is white with the institute's emblem in the middle. White is a symbol of peace, love, and tranquillity.
The emblem of the institute is made of a disk horizontally divided into two parts. The upper part is a symbol of knowledge, aspiration, triumph, and rebirth, represented by a book, the sun, and a torch. The lower part features the map of the Americas, surrounded by the "two seas" of Colombia [Pacific and Atlantic Oceans], as a symbol of fraternity, unity, and projection. It is inscribed with the motto "AMOR Y CIENCIA" (Love and Science).
Ivan Sache, 09 November 2014
"Corporación Universitaria Lasallista", located in
Caldas, was approved by the Ministry of National Education on 22
June 1983 (Decree No. 9887).
Classes started on 6 February 1984 in Medellín.
The flag of the university, as shown graphically on the university website, is dark blue with the yellow logo of the university in the middle.
The logo shows the star of faith derived from the coat of arms of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian School, above the letters "UL", standing for "Universitaria" and "Lasallista", respectively.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Las Marías" is located in Olaya Herrera (Nariño
Department); the institute is part of a ethno-educational project aimed at the
preservation of the cultural and traditional practices of the local
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's website, is horizontally divided green-white-coffee brown. Green represents the resources of the woods, white represents peace and coffee brown represents the soil producing our daily resources.
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
image by Eugene Ipavec, 18 February 2007
The Universidad Autónoma Latinoamericana (Latin American
Autonomous University) is located in Medellín,
The university flag can be seen at <www.unaula.edu.co>.
Description of the Flag: "Conceived by attorney Ramón Emilio Arcila Hurtado; approved simoultaneously with arms. Consists of two stripes of equal size: the first, (top) red one symbollizes the University's fight and sacrifice to rejects tradition and embrace progress. The second, (lower) mustard one represents a lively and glowing university, with a diversity of ideologies and creeds"
Ron Lahav and Eugene Ipavec, 18 February 2007
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2014
Liceo Latinoamericano del Sur was established in 1989 in La Cabaņa borough,
part of the municipality of Bosa (Bogotá), by Sisters Martha Ines and Stella
Girón Avendaņo. Classes started in February 1990.
The flag of the institute is prescribed in Chapter 2.1 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook, as horizontally divided yellow-blue with the institute's emblem in the middle. Yellow is a symbol of energy, prosperity, and abundance. Blue is a symbol of sincerity and responsibility
Source: http://www.liceolatinoamericano.co/el-liceo/manual-de-convivencia/ - Institute's Etiquette Guidebook
The flag used in official street parades does not bear the coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2014