Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 26 July 2014
Colegio San Benito de Tibatí was established in Bogotá by the Order of Saint
Benedict (Benedictines). On 6 August 1960, Luis Concha Córdoba, Archbishop of
Bogotá, welcomed four monks - Lawrence Wagner, Frederic Mundt, Anselm Ruelle and
Adrian Mundt - from the abbey of the Assumption, Richardton, North Dakota (US).
They were invited by the archbishop to contribute to the improvement of Catholic
education in Bogotá. The four monks established Colegio San Carlos, where
classes started in February 1961. On 15 September 1963, the foundation of the
priorate of Tibatí was approved. The priorate was named for a Chibcha word
meaning "Joy of the Lord". In February 1969, the priorate was allowed to teach
novices. Under the guidance of Father Valeriano Oldermann, the monks of Tibatí
purchased the plots surrounding Colegio San Carlos and established Colegio San
Benito de Tibatí. Classes started on 12 February 1979.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-dark blue. Yellow is a symbol of valour and spiritual force, of equity and felicity, and of joy and common life in harmony. Blue is a symbol of academic skills, magnanimity, and truth.
Source: http://www.csbt.edu.co/Simbolos_Institucionales_CSBT.php - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 16 August 2014
Institucion Educativa San Bartolomé (INESAB) was established on 28 October
1965 in Córdoba (Nariño Department) by the parish priest Remigio Nicolás Narváez
Benavides. Classes started on 25 December 1965.
The flag of the institute is white with the institute's emblem in the middle. White is a symbol of purity and rectitude.
The emblem of the institute is made of three concentric circles. The central circle features a torch pointing to the north. As a guide and source of light, the torch is a symbol of truth, liberty and personal education guided by perseverance, audacity and adventure. The torch is supported by the Bible, a symbol of the search for truth. The middle circle is charged with a cross symbolizing struggle, force, and spiritual triumph. Light emerges from the cross of Christ, as the eternal light of transcendency, resurrection, and redemption.The external circle is charged with the writing "HOC SIGNO VINCIS" (should be "IN HOC SIGNO VINCES" / In This Sign You Will Conquer) and "STO VIR" (Should be "ESTO VIR" / "Be a Man"), which form the essence of the institute's philosophy. Red is a symbol of love, courage, and spiritual highness.Yellow is a symbol of light and knowledge.
Source: http://iesanbartolome2012.blogspot.fr/2012/11/quienes-somos.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 16 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Institución Educativa Colegio San Bartolomé" is located in San José de
Cúcuta (Cúcuta Department).
The flag of the institute, as shown on the institute's blog, is horizontally divided blue-white-red.
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 6 February 2010
Flag of Universidad de San Buenaventura is based on <www.usb.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 3 June 2001
The flag is horizontally divided orange-black. The website
says that orange stands for youth, creativeness and intelligence,
and black for sobriety, rigour and academic excellence.
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2001
Colegio de San Buenaventura was founded at the end of the 17th
century in Santa Fé de Bogotá by the Franciscan Order; on 5
November 1861, Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera ordered the
suppression of all the religious communities from the national
territory and closed the old college. Universidad de San
Buenaventura (USB) was refounded on 14 June 1961 in Bogotá (main
seat), sections being subsequently founded in Medellín (1966),
Cali (1970) and Cartagena (1994).
Source: USB website.
Photos of the flag: Bogotá - USB main seat, Medellín section, Cartagena section (Album "Auditorio", picture #10 and last).
The university's website shows a drawing of the flag charged with the university's seal in the middle, which is not supported either by the description of the flag or photographical evidence.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 04 August 2014
Liceo San Carlos is located in Cajica (Cundinamarca Department).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-green.
Source: http://liceosancarlos.edu.co/emblemas.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 04 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 06 August 2014
Institución Educativa San Cristóbal was established in April 1966 in Medellín
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-green with the institute's emblem in the middle. Red is a symbol of love, optimism, cooperation, and harmony. Green is a symbol of faith, projection, hope, admiration, and love for the natural environment.
The emblem of the institute shows on a white background a book symbolizing science and aspiration to learn. The cover of the book is diagonally divided into two parts coloured like the flag. The book supports a torch hold by two hands, meaning union, integration, fraternity, and aspiration to surpassing. Beneath the books is the writing "CIENCIA Y DEMOCRACIA" (Science and Democracy) in bold black letters, surmounting the writing "ECOLOGÍA - ÉTICA - TRABAJO" (Ecology - Ethics - Work) forming an arch. The whole is inscribed in a green ring. The outer border of the emblem, limited by a red ring, is inscribed on top with the institute's name, "I.E. SAN CRISTÓBAL" and on bottom with "LIDERANDO PROCESOS DE CRECIMENTO HUMANO" (Leading the Processes of Human Growth).
Source: http://www.iesancristobal.edu.co/index2.php?id=4151&idmenutipo=734&tag= - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 06 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 16 December 2008
"Colegio Campestre San Diego" was founded in Chia on
12 February 1994, succeeding the "Liceo San Diego" of
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's website, is dark red with two right-angle triangles placed along the hoist and a blue Greek letter "alpha" near the hoist. The triangles form a wide perspective on which is projected the "alpha" symbol.
The colours suggest that the power of love (red wine red) and the depth of life, shown in the sky and the sea (blue), converge at the infinite and feed the permanent retroalimentation of hope and empathy with the natural environment (green).
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 19 January2016
Institución Educativa San Francisco de Asís (IESFA) was established in
Puerto Asis by Agreement No. 13 of 27 April 1995, as Instituto Técnico
Industrial San Francisco de Asís.
The institute is named for St. Francis of Assisi (1181/82-1226,
canonized on 16 July 1228 by Pope Gregory IX).
The flag of IESFA is horizontally divided purple red-white-gray. The upper stripe is a symbol of fire in every student's heart. The white stripe is a symbol of purity and innocence.The gray stripe is a symbol of technical and industrial skills taught at IESFA.
Source: Institute's website
image by Ivan Sache, 01 September 2017
The music band of IEFSA uses a triangular pennant at the institute's
colours, arranged in a triangular pattern. (Photo)
Ivan Sache, 19 January 2016
image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
The St. Francis of Assisi Royal College was founded in 1662, as part of the
Popayán Seminary, founded by the Jesuit father Francisco Fuentes, the Dean
Francisco Vélez de Zúñiga and the Bishop of Popayán Francisco de la Serna y
Rimaga Salazar, and officially approved on 4 October 1643 by King of Spain
Philip IV. After the expelling of the Jesuits by Charles III in 1767, the
institute was managed for a few years by the Dominicans, the Jesuits being
reinstated in 1783 and expelled again in 1850 by General Tomás Cipriano de
Mosquera's government. In 1869, the Bishop Carlos Bermúdez decided to reorganize
the Seminary and obtained from Pope Pius IX its allocation to the Lazarists. On
2 February 1881, Fathers Gustavo Foing and Juan Bautista Rieux arrived in
Popayán; the Lazarists would manage the Seminary until 1942, when the Seminary
and the College were separated. The college was renamed Colegio de Nuestra
Señora del Pilar, eventually closed in 1953. In April 1963, the St. Francis of
Assisi Royal College was restored by the Association of the Ex-Alumni of the
college, that granted its management to the (Lazarist) Congregation of the
The flag of Real Colegio San Francisco de Asís, as shown on the institute's website, is horizontally divided white-red. White represents purity, dignity, justice, zeal, truth, perseverance, gratitude, kindness, good faith, joy and peace. Found in the highest points of the natural environment, on top of the mountains and in the clouds, it symbolizes high aspirations and noble ideas. Red is the color of sacrifice, blood and life, heroism, patriotism and courage.
The flag should be used in all ceremonies held in the institute, together with the national, departmental (Cauca) and municipal (Popayán) flags, and placed on the honor place, left.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
Colegio San Francisco was established on 5 October 1935 in Tuluá (Valle
Department) by the Franciscan Fathers, as Escuela San Francisco de Asís. Centro
Comercial de Educación Media San Antonio de Padua was established on the same
site on 22 September 1935.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-yellow-blue. Blue is a symbol of heavens. Yellow is a symbol of spirituality.
Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 27 September 2014
Institución Educativa Indígena San Francisco "El Paki" was established in
1962 by Medardo Canole Chima, a political leader of the time, in the village of
San Francisco. Destroyed by a blaze in 1990, the school was rebuilt in the
indigenous community of El Paki, part of the municipality of Sampués (Sucre
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-green, with a green letter "S" in the upper hoist and a yellow letter "F" in the lower fly.The yellow stripe is a symbol of the resources of the community. The green stripe is a symbol of the fertility of the soil.
Source: http://www.ineisa.edu.co/seccion.asp?idseccion=2&idsubseccion=7 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 27 September 2014
"Institución Educativo Distrital San Francisco I La
Casona" was founded 36 years ago in Bogotá.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo available on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-yellow-green (1:2:1) with the emblem of the institute in the middle.
The emblem of the institute was designed by Ferney Peña in 2005.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 22 September 2014
Institución Educativa Departamental San Francisco is located in the village
of San Francisco, part of the municipality of Junín (Cundinamarca Department).
San Francisco had its first school established in 1910, in a informal manner.
Escuela El Pino was built in 1922; another school for boys was built in 1933.
Escuela de Buenos Aires and Escuela de Santa Rosa were established in 1960 and
1966, respectively. Colegio Basico de San Francisco was established by
Resolution No. 742 of 19 August 1999. Institución Educativa Departamental San
Francisco was eventually established by Resolution No. 4,451 of 19 October 2005.
The flag of the institute is divided red-blue by a thin white saltire. Red represents our own blood and our working and valiant people. Blue represents heavens and hope.
Source: http://www.actiweb.es/inedesanfra/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 22 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 01 September 2017
Institución Educativa San Gerardo María Mayela is located in Norcasia (Caldas).
The institute is named for St. Gerard Majella (1726-1755, canonized on 11 December 1904 by Pope Pius X), member of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorists).
Source:: Biography, The Catholic Encyclopedia
The flag of I.E. San Gerardo Maria Mayela is horizontally divided green-red.
Source: Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 01 September 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2014
Institución Educativa San Isidro was established in El Espinal (Tolima
Department) by the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian School (Lasallians).
The Lasallians settled in El Espinal on 7 January 1918; Escuela Superior de
Artes was inaugurated on 4 February 1918. The institute was transformed in 1924
into Colegio San Isidro, named for St. Isidore of Seville (560/570-636).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-red.
http://edufanny.wordpress.com/ - Institute's blog
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2014