Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education | colombia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
"Colegio San Patricio" was founded in 1959 in
Bogotá by Emma Gaviria de Uribe, as "St. Patrick
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with a thin vertical white line near the fly and two thin horizontal white lines near the bottom, and, in the middle, a green clover leaf oultined in light green, charged with the white letters "CSP" and placed on a white disk. The flag was designed by educators of the institute.
The clover was used by St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, to explain the mystery of the Holy Trinity.
Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
"Colegio San Pedro" is located in the municipality of Madrid, Cundinamarca
Department. The institute originates in "Escuela Agrícola de San Pedro", founded
in 1937 by Ruperto, Dolores and Rosa Elvira Melo Torres on their estate named
"La Hélida". The institute was then aimed at providing education to the
farmers' sons so that they could subsequently manage their own estates.
The Melo family subsequently donated the institute to the Tertiary Capuchins, a congregation founded in 1889 by Luis Amigó Ferrer and active in Colombia since 1905.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-white-red.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio San Pedro Claver" is located in the Kennedy
borough, Bogotá. The institute is named after the Spanish Jesuit
St. Peter Claver (1580-1654, canonized on 15 September 1888), the
patron saint of slaves, of Colombia and of African Americans.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-red with three white stars oulined in black in the white stripe.
Blue represents humility and tolerance.
White represents inner and outer peace.
Red represents enthousiasm to teach and to be tought.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio Seminario San Pio X", located at
Floridablanca (Department of Santander), was recognized on 2
February 1954 by the Archbishop of Bucaramanga (Decree No. 007).
The institute is named after Pope Pius X (1835-1914, Pope in
1903, canonized in 1954).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided green-white-red. Green represents hope; white represents purity, innocence, holliness, joy, grace and glory; red represents fire, love and sacrifice.
The description of the flag does not mention the emblem of the institute, shown in the middle of the flag on the drawing. However, the neighbouring photo of the emblem shows it inscribed in a blue ring with the name of the institute, which is lacking on the drawing.
Two photos (here and here), taken during the flag ceremony and inside the main hall of the institute, respectively, confirms that the flag bears the emblem in the middle, inscribed in a blue ring.
The emblem of the institute is green with a red triangle pointing downwards. The green lateral triangles are charged with a white chalice and host, representing the Eucharist, and a white fleur-de- lis, representing commitment to the community, respectively. The red triangle is charged with a white palm tree, recalled by the Latin motto placed in a white scroll below the shield, "Sicut palma florebit", "It will flourish like a palm tree". The motto recalls Psalm 92:12, "Justus sicut palma florebit, sicut cedrus in Libano crescet" ("The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar in Lebanon". The whole is inscribed in a blue ring charged with the white writing "SEMINARIO SAN PIO X" (top) / "FLORIDABLANCA" (bottom).
Ivan Sache, 13 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
Institución Educativa San Pio X was established in 1971 in the La Enea
borough, part of the municipality of Manizales (Caldas Department), by the pries
Néstor Marulanda. The institute is named for Pope Pius X (1903-1914, canonized
on 29 May 1954 by Pope Pius XII).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue-red. White is a symbol of purity and limpidity. Blue is a symbol of the deepness of the soul and of the immensity of knowledge. Red is symbol of the power of the student's spirit, of fraternity, and of dynamism.
Source: http://ptasanpiox.blogspot.fr/p/institucion-educativa-sanpiox-manizales.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
Instituto Técnico San Rafael was established in 1944 in Manizales (Caldas
Department) by the Tertiary Capuchins, a congregation founded in 1889 by Luis
Amigó Ferrer and active in Colombia since 1905. Rafael Salazar and his wife
Leonor offered the estate "La Suiza" to house the institute.
The flag of the institute is presented in the institute's Etiquette Guidebook as horizontally divided in seven stripes, in turn green and white, with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist. The seven stripes represents Mary' seven pains. Green is a symbol of the youth while white is a symbol of peace. Yellow is a symbol of virtue.
Source: http://www.institutosanrafael.edu.co/dependencias/coor-convivencia/manual-de-convivencia.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
"Colegio San Sebastian" was founded at Cali in 1994
by Liliana Osorio Garcia.
The flag of the institute, as described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white.
Blue represents represents the immensity of the sky and of the sea.
White represents transparency and freshness, as well as intellectual and spiritual resources.
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
"Colegio San Simón" was founded at Ibagué,
Department of Tolima, on 21 December 1822 (Decree of the
Executive No. 86-5), reorganized on 30 March 1837 (Presidential
Decree) and reestablished in 1887 (Law No. 12). Its legal status
was eventually confirmed by the State Council on 8 October 1942.
Originally housed in a former Dominican convent built in 1722,
the institute moved to its modern seat in 1948. In 2002, it
merged with three other institutes to form "Institución
Educativa Colegio de San Simón".
The flag of the institute was shown graphically on Cesar David Gastelbondo Calderón's blog, as horizontally divided white-green.
Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 16 July 2014
Another blog shows the flag as horizontally divided white-green with the
institute's emblem in the middle:
http://fabioxih3.blogspot.fr. The mountain represented on the emblem must be
the Nevado del Tolima volcano (5,215 m). The Latin motto "Feriam sidera vertice"
comes from Horace's Odes (I:1 The Dedication : To Maecenas), reading "My head
will be raised to touch the stars".
There is, however, no evidence that the flag is actually used with the emblem. Photos taken during an official ceremony shows the flag without the emblem.
Ivan Sache, 16 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
Colegio San Tarsicio, located in Bogotá, was founded on 13 February 1961 by
Ernesto Solano and Cecilia Restrepo de Carrizosa. The institute is named for the
early Christian martyr St. Tarcisius (3rd century, only known to us by a poem
written by Pope Damasus I).
The symbols of Colegio San Tarsicio are described in the institute's "Proyecto Educativo Institucional" (PEI - Institutional Education Project), as follows:
Chapter 1. Fundamental principles.
The flag of the institute is based on the papal flag, whose colors are white and yellow. White means clarity, limpidity, truth; this color, which assimilates and reflects all the other ones, which is the color of the host, and which symbolizes the Eucharist, shall be placed above everything. Dark [lit. "burned"] yellow means life, sun, force, power, energy, maturity, harvest. These two stripes, white and yellow, are separated by a coffee brown stripe symbolizing the soil, the space where we live, our universe; on the white stripe in the left part, the institute's coat of arms, which is made with the same three colors.
1.8.4. Coat of arms.
Inspired by a German stamp representing St. Tarcisio, designed by the noted religious artist K. Beuron. With a triangular shape and symbolizing the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In the triangle: the chalice and the Saint Host surrounded by rays. In the middle, the letters [chrism] meaning "Jesus, Hostia Santa". In the base "San Tarsicio": Martyr of the Eucharist.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
Institucion Educativa San Vicente De Paúl was established in 1960 in Puerto
Colombia (Atlántico Department), with the financial support of Caritas. Colegio
Distrital San Vicente de Paúl was established by Resolution No. 1,354 of 13
September 1999. The institute is named for St. Vincent de Paul (1581-1660,
canonized on 16 June 1737 by Pope Clement XII), aka the "Great Apostle of
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green-red with a blue triangle placed along the hoist and charged with a yellow star. White is a symbol of peace, transparency and purity. Green is a symbol of the location of the institute in the natural environment, surrounded by mangrove, and of its planted garden. Red is a symbol of love, a legacy of the institute's patron saint, characterized by an ardent charity preferentially dedicated to the poor. Blue is symbol of the mangrove and of the sea. Yellow is a symbol of the sun and its light that signals the way and shows the horizon. Jesus Christ is the sun of justice that guides our steps towards infinity.
Source: http://iedsanvicentedepaul.blogspot.fr/2013/08/simbolos-institucionales.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 03 October 2014
Institución Educativa San Vicente Ferrer was established in 2005 in San
Vicente Ferrer (Antioquia Department), succeeding Colegio General San Vicente
Ferrer, which had been established by Municipal Resolution No. 12 of 21 February
2000, as the merger of Liceo San Vicente Ferrer, Instituto Santa Teresita,
Colegio integral para Jóvenes y Adultos (CIJA), and Escuela Urbana Integrada
Cándido Duque Gómez.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-yellow-green with a white star in the middle. Red is a symbol of dynamism and movement. Yellow is a symbol of light, of the sun, of action, life, immensity, and prosperity. Green is a symbol of youth, hope, and vegetation. The star is a symbol of ideal and goal. White is a symbol of purity, nobleness, and peace.
Source: http://www.iesanvicenteferrer.edu.co/index.php/8-institucional?start=4 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 03 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 26 November 2014
Institución Educativa San Vicente was established in Palmira (Valle
Department) by Resolution No. 1,802 of 4 September 2002, as the merger
of Colegio Comercial San Vicente de Paúl, Centro Docente No. 5 San
Vicente, Center Docente No. 14 Mater Dei, and Centro Docente No. 15
Rosa Virginia Pelletier.
Escuela San Vicente de Paúl was established in 1894 by the Daughters
of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, a congregation founded in 1633 by
St. Louise de Marillac (1591-1660, canonized on 11 May 1934 by Pope
Pius XI); this was the first school officially recognized in the town.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-pink with a green triangle placed along the hoist. Yellow is a symbol of cognitive resources. Pink is a symbol of innocence's elation, authenticity and transparency. Green represents the youth and aspiration to a Christian education.
Source: http://www.sanvicente.edu.co/new/simbolos/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 November 2014