Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 11 November 2010
Colegio Santa Ana, located in Fontibón (Bogotá Capital District), was founded
in 1948 by Ligia Mendoza de Méndez.
The flag of Colegio Santa Ana, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided green-white. Green means hope, vision of triumph and continuity in duty. White represents ethical and moral honesty.
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
Colegio Santa Ana de Flores is located in Simacota, Department of Santander.
The flag of Colegio Santa Ana de Flores, as shown graphically on the institute's blog, is divided white-green by the ascending diagonal. White represents peace and tranquillity. Green represents the natural resources and hope in a better future.
Ivan Sache, 15 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 14 December 2014
Institución Educativa Colegio Santa Barbara is located in Ábrego (Norte del
The symbols of the institute were designed in 1979 under the guidance of Dubis Isabel Ditta Altamar.
The flag is horizontally divided green-red with a white triangle placed along the hoist. Green is a symbol of the exuberant and fertile natural environment of the beautiful valley, and also a symbol of aspiration to a better future. Red is a symbol of a brave nation, such as the Heborucos who once inhabited the region. White is a symbol of peace aspired to by a village culturally marred by violence.
The emblem is made of a Swiss-shaped shield divided white-green along the ascending diagonal. The upper quarter is white, as a symbol of peace, charged with a flaming torch representing sporting spirit. The lower quarter is emerald green, representing aspiration to educate leaders for Ábrego, charged with an open book inscribed with the institute's motto, "CIENCIA Y VIRTUD" (Science and Virtue).
In the middle is a handshake, made of the adult hand of a teacher and of the juvenile hand of a student, conveying a feeling of friendship and mutual aid.
Source: http://www.colsaba.edu.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=129 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 14 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2014
Colegio Santa Bertilla Boscardín was established in Medellín (Antioquia
Department) by the Congregation of the Teachers of Saint Dorothy, Daughters of
the Sacred Heart. The congregation was founded in 1836 in Italy by Giovanni
Antonio Farina (1803-1888; to be canonized on 23 November 2014 by Pope Francis;
Bishop of Trevise  and of Vicenza ) "to educate girls from poor
families" and recognized on 1 March 1839 by Pope Gregory XVI; in South America,
it has branches in Brazil, Colombia and Ecuador. The institute is named for St.
Maria Bertilla Boscardin (1888-1922; canonized on 11 May 1961 by Pope John
XXIII), who took the coat in Farina's congregation on 15 October 1905, as Sister
Maria Bertilla, and worked at the children's service of the Trevise hospital
from 1907 until her death.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-lilac pink. White is a symbol of candor and innocence of children. Lilac pink is a symbol of the greatness and dignity of teenagers. Lilac forms a balance between red and blue, symbolizing struggle and truce, acts and thoughts, work and rest, scream and silence, study and recreation, emotionalism and discernment, respectively. Lilac is also a symbol of nobleness and delicacy.
http://www.sbertilla.edu.co/images/stories/documentosPDF/simbolos.pdf - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 18 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
Colegio Santa Catalina de Siena, located in Maicao (Department of La
Guajira), is the main seat of Institución Educativa No. 3.
The flag of Colegio Santa Catalina de Siena, also used (by default) by Institución Educativa No. 3, is shown on the institute's website as horizontally divided white-red. White symbolizes peace and purity. Red symbolizes love. Peace and love are presented as the two words that fostered St. Catherine of Siena's life.
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
Colegio Santa Clara de Asis was established on 22 January 1942 in Pasto
(Nariño Department) by Sisters Meinrada Wolf, Teolina Villegas, Ana Margarita
Osorio, Rosa Margarita Mantilla and Victoria Luisa Marín. The five nuns belong
to the congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate, founded in
March 1893 in Túquerres by Mother Caridad Bader.
The institute is named for St. Clare of Assisi (1194-1253; canonized on 26 September 1255 by Pope Alexander IV), one of the first followers of St. Francis of Assisi (1181/2-1226; canonized on 16 July 1228 by Pope Gregory IX) and the founder of the Order of St. Clare (Clarisses).
The flag of the institute is, on the obverse, pink with the institute's emblem in the middle, and, on the reverse, green. Pink is a symbol of the joy of the youth. Green is a symbol of search and aspiration to a promising future.
The emblem of the institute, adopted in 1971, was designed by Sister Damascena Brunner. The shield is of modern Gothic shape, different from the ancient Gothic shape by the point at the shield's bottom. The shield is divided by a gray bend sinister, representing the girdle of St. Francis of Assisi. The dexter field is red, a symbol of charity, love, force and blood, charged with a chalice, a symbol of love, and with a bread and a cross, symbols of unity. The sinister field is argent, a symbol of chastity, humility and limpidity, charged with a lamp, a symbol of science. All the charges are yellow, except the candle set in the lamp, which is red. The shield has a black bordure inscribed with "SANTA CLARA DE ASIS" (top) and "AMOR Y CIENCIA" (Love and Science, bottom) in white letters.
Ivan Sache, 30 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior Santa Clara" is located in Almaguer (Cauca
Department). The flag of the institute, as shown on the institute's blog (photo),
is horizontally divided yellow-green.
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 05 September 2017
Liceo Moderno Santa Emilia was established in borough Santa Matilde, Puente
Aranda (Bogotá) by Elvia Rosa Palencia de Parra, as Jardín Infantil Preescolar
del Sur, registered on 17 March 1975 by Resolution No. 13. The institute was
renamed Liceo y Preescolar del Sur on 6 November 1985 by Resolution No. 6,489.
The flag of Liceo Moderno Santa Emilia is horizontally divided white-blue.
Source: Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 05 September 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
"Colegio Santa Fe" was founded in 1953 at
Valledupar, Department of Cesar.
The flag of the institute, according to a photo and the description available on the institute website, is horizontally divided green- white. Green symbolizes hope while white symbolizes transparency.
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 09 December 2013
Colegio Santa Inés is a Franciscan educational institute based in Manizales.
The flag of Colegio Santa Inés is horizontally divided white-pink with the institute's emblem in the middle. White and pink symbolize purity and youth, respectively.
The emblem of Colegio Santa Inés features the Latin motto "VIRTUS SCIENTIA" (Virtue and Science) and the flaming torch of science, surrounded by spiny roses and thorns. The roses represent juvenile beauty; the spines recall that beauty should be protected from those who threaten it or attempt to rob its perfume.
The thorns recall that Jesus Christ designed our way on thorns.
Ivan Sache, 09 December 2013
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Colegio Santa Isabel de Hungría", located in the Villabel borough,
Floridablanca (Santander Department), originates in the "Fundación Centro
Parroquial Villabel", founded on 28 February 1980 in the Santa Isabel de Hungría
(St. Elisabeth of Hungary) parish. On 25 November 1988, a secondary seat of "Gimnasio
José Alexandro Perralta", located in the Girón borough, was inaugurated in
Villabel. The institute took its current name on 25 October 1991.
The flag of the institute is described on the institute's website as "made of three colors: red, white and green, in three horizontal stripes, strictly identical to the stripes of the Republic of Hungary. The three colors mean: strength, sacrifice, purity and hope."
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Institución Educativa 'Santa Juana de Arco'" (St.
Joan of Arc) is located at Santa María, Department of Huila.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the blog of the institute, is white with three blue and yellow fleurs-de- lis placed along the descending diagonal.
The flag, designed by Father Jairo Trujillo Polanco in 1975, is based on Joan of Arc's [alleged] standard. White symbolizes the purity of the saint. The fleur-de-lis, the French national flower [sic], is a tribute to Joan of Arc's motherland.
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 9 June 2001
Colegio de Santa Librada - 1:2 (apparently), quarterly divided
green-white-white-green The flag is shown on <www.santalibrada.edu.co>,
located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 9 June 2001
"Colegio Distrital Santa Librada" is located at
Bogotá. The college is named after St. Librada (Liberata,
Livrade...), aka St. Wilgefortis, aka St. Uncomber, the patron
saint of women wishing to be "disuncombered" from
abusive husbands. Known as "the bearded virgin" but
without any historic background, the poor saint was removed from
the list of commemorated saints by the Roman Catholic Church in
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is slightly higher than wide, white with an aquamarine triangle pointing downwards charged with a white rising sun. An alternative interpretation of the drawing is a triangular light aquamarine flag with a white rising sun.
The sun represents light, energy, joy, commitment and solidarity of all the members of the institute. White represents peace, unity and the interest of the institute. Aquamarine represents tranquility, future, strength and commitment to study of the students.
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 24 July 2014
Colegio Provincial de Neiva (Santander Department) was established by
Provincial Ordinance on 26 September 1845. Classes in Spanish Grammar and Latin
started on 1 January 1849. The institute was subsequently renamed Colegio
Democrático (Ordinance No. 26 of 9 October 1850), Colegio de Santa Librada (Law
of 27 October 1870), and, eventually Colegio Nacional Santa Librada (Law No. 92
of 1937). The most famous student of the institute, mentioned in the institute's
anthem, is the writer José Eustasio Rivera (1888-1928), author of the naturalist
novel "La vorágine" (The Vortex, 1924), considered as the Colombian national
epic and as a milestone in the South American literature.
The institute is named after St. Librada (Liberata, Livrade...), aka St. Wilgefortis, aka St. Uncomber, the patron saint of women wishing to be "disencumbered" from abusive husbands. Known as "the bearded virgin" but without any historical background, the poor saint was removed from the list of commemorated saints by the Roman Catholic Church in 1969.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-black.
http://galeon.com/colnalstalibrada/aficiones2558628.html - Luz Sary Herrera Cano's blog
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
"Colegio Parroquial Santa Lucía" was
founded in 1987 in Floridablanca by Father Silvano Poletto,
parish priest of Santa Lucía and legal representative in
Colombia of the religious community of the "Siervos de la
Caridad" (Servants of Charity), a community founded by the
Italian priest Luis Guanella (1842-1915, blessed in 1964).
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided blue-white-yellow.
Blue represents the natural environment, empathy and respect of the students for their surroundings, including humans and the ecological environment.
White represents the light protecting the college and enlightening our lives, as well as truth and transparency to be attained by the students.
Yellow represents the Catholic faith and religious education.
The flag can be seen on a photo, as presented by the band of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009